Chapter 25

If I don't get out of this infirmary soon I am going to snap.

"It's only been a few days, Kay. Your body needs time to heal." Jules says as she changes the wrappings on my stitched arm and cracked ribs, her tone patient but firm.

"I am healed enough." I tell her, rotating my shoulder for her benefit and effectively hiding my discomfort. "I want to speak with Rowan."

She isn't fooled for a moment. "You need to stay off that leg or you're only going to make it worse."

"That old thing has always been in a bad way." I wave my hand dismissively. "Exercise is the best treatment."

Jules presses her lips together in a tight line. "You aren't making my job easy."

"Did you expect anything less?" I swing my legs out of the bed and place my bare feet tentatively on the floor, grimacing at the movement. "See? It's fine. I told you."

She throws her hands in the air, exasperated. "Kay, I swear to the gods if you don't get back in bed this instant I will tie you to the frame."

"I'd like to see you try that." I push myself up into a standing position, placing my weight on my good leg and swaying slightly as I hold on to the cot for balance.

"Great, you're standing. Marvellous progress. I'd say that's enough for today, wouldn't you?" Sarcasm drips from Jules' voice as she glares at me with her arms crossed.

"Not quite." I grit my teeth and attempt a step forward. My knee gives out immediately and I nearly crumble to the ground, managing to grasp onto the frame at the last instant. A growl of frustration tears from my throat as Jules helps me back up.

"You've really done a number on it." She shakes her head, tutting not unsympathetically.

"Clearly." I groan. I feel a jolt of anger at Rowan. Not being able to walk, let alone run, especially during times like this is one of the worst punishments I could receive.

"Patience, Kay. It isn't the end of the world." Jules is relentlessly optimistic. As much as I love Will's sister sometimes I just want to throttle her. "Look, here comes Luca. Maybe he can talk some sense into you."

My head jerks up. Sure enough, Luca has appeared in his usual soundless fashion. The tight knot of tension still remains pinched between his brows and he holds a long wooden object in his hands.

He nods to Jules before addressing me. "You are looking better."

I roll my eyes. "Then let us alert Vitrola that I am ready for the ball."

His eyes narrow in confusion while Jules releases an inelegant guffaw, at once slapping her hands to her mouth as though she could force the sound back inside.

"Who?" Luca asks.

I wave my hand dismissively. "An old friend. Don't worry about it. What have you got there?"

He glances down at the wooden instrument, turning it over in his hands. "I thought it might help you get back on your feet."

My eyes widen as Jules groans, "Not you as well."

Luca holds the crutch out, helping me into a standing position and easing it under my shoulder. At once the pressure on my knee is relieved and I am able to hobble forward a few tentative steps.

A huge smile breaks out over my face, immediately extinguishing any lingering rage.

"Luca, this is amazing." I breathe. Looking up at him I can see a genuine grin alighting his features. It's the first smile I've seen from him and it changes his entire face, his sharp eyes at once appearing kind and not so calculating. I stare for a moment too long, my own grin mirroring his.