Chapter 16

Our race through the Wastelands is scorching and panicked. At any moment I expect to feel the cold shadow of an airship passing over me, darkening the ground as it bears down on us.

Luca runs just ahead, weaving confidently between the dunes with a surefooted swiftness that belies my own. Together we streak across sand and dodge wiry underbrush, our feet kicking up clouds of dust in our wake.

The route we take back to Pic dil Cir is convoluted. As we hurtle down the crooked pathway between piles of sand I can't help but marvel at Luca's ability to navigate the terrain while my own memory for direction is near-useless out here. I cannot differentiate one dune from another and the sporadic scattering of dried trees and brush do nothing for my sense of orientation. Luca, meanwhile zigzags with precision until we arrive at a completely nondescript hill.

My breaths are thick and laboured by the time we finally slow our breakneck pace. Luca draws to a stop and stands stock-still, his shoulders heaving up and down.

"What is it?" My legs shake from exhaustion but the adrenaline pumping through my veins gives me all the strength I need to keep going. "Luca?"

He doesn't move. I step up next to him and place a hand on his arm, turning him to face me. His stricken expression gives me pause and I feel a swell of panic begin clawing its way up my throat.

"Come on." I urge.

"What do I do?" His voice is small, far-removed from the arrogance I've come to expect from him.

Shit. I don't know. My head is spinning and I have never missed Will more than I do at this moment. If he were here he would know exactly what action to take.

"Just get in there and tell them what's coming." I tell him.

"Where can we go?"

"Gods, Luca. Don't ask me! You're the Wasteland expert." I run a hand over my head, burying my fingers in sand-dusted hair. "What would Jaron do?"

Something crosses his face and I see a spark return to his eye. "I am not my brother."

"Your brother isn't here, Luca. It's up to you to figure this out." I pull my hands out of my hair. "How about the tunnels? They must lead somewhere. Can we escape through there?"

"The tunnels haven't been used since the Burn." He glances towards the tube entrance. "We have barricaded them to keep out intruders."

"I think they're still our best shot." I speak quickly, trying to hurry him along. "We'll be spotted for certain if we stay above ground."

"Yes, you are right." Some of the colour has returned to his face.

"You can do this, Luca." I take a step closer to him. "You have to."

He nods once, tightly. "Let's go."

He pushes aside the scrap of fabric covering the entrance to the tube and takes off down the stairs towards the main chamber. I trail behind as he shoulders his way into the darkened camp, startling several Wasters who glance up in surprise. I notice Cade standing to the side of the crowd, his grey eyebrows furrowed as he watches us.

"Friends! You must follow me to the tunnels, we need to leave immediately!" Luca's clear voice carries above the din, prompting cries of protest from the gathered Wasters.

"Why do we have to leave?" Someone shouts out.

"We have just seen the sky machines. They know where our camp is and they are coming here now." Luca has reached the far end of the room and is standing in front of one of the staircases. His fists are clenched tightly and he is still noticeably pale but he stands strong, his feet firmly planted.