Chapter 34

Calling the Madam's lair a 'camp', as Jaron does, is an understatement to say the least.

The massive dome stands alone amid a heavy cluster of dense brush. The surrounding wasteland is flat, the dunes receded far into the distance. Such a colossal structure placed in the centre of open flatlands should be easy to spot, even in the darkest night. However, the dome's reflective surface cleverly masks the base and renders the entire 'camp' almost impossible to detect.

It is covered entirely in mirrors.

Massive panes of faultless glass completely envelope the exterior of the settlement in a tessellating pattern, wrapping it in a cloak of invisibility. The image of cloudless sky, surrounding foliage and miles of flat sand project off of the dome's sides, making it appear as though the span of the Wasteland continues indefinitely, uninterrupted and endless.

Our small party is currently camped out between the dunes on the edges of the wasteland surrounding the mirrored dome. The accommodations are charmingly modest but leave something to be desired, being that we are essentially living out of a hole in the ground.

Rowan dug out this shallow pit at the base of the hill, uncomplaining even though I am certain she considers such tasks beneath her. A length of sand-coloured cloth serves as our roof, effectively disguising our presence from any prying eyes above.

It's none too glamorous, but the crude hole provides us with a relatively safe place to sleep and plan while we observe the settlement from a cautious distance.

This may all seem quite charming but currently our intrepid adventurers find themselves huddled together in the cramped, dirty quarters and arguing in low voices.

"Enough, Luca. Put it from your mind." Jaron growls. Every hour the Waster chief seems to edge closer to his boiling point, but still Luca continues to push. After a full day confined in unbearable proximity to the brothers, I have decided that Luca must subconsciously desire a bloody nose. If Jaron doesn't deliver one to him soon, I may have to.

"What other choice is there? Time is running short and we must find a way inside." Luca gestures towards the crude map we've sketched out on the sandy floor. "We circled the entire structure and so far have seen no one come in or out of the base."

"That doesn't mean that they don't have eyes on the surrounding area." I explain with as much patience as I can muster. "It is completely open ground. If you are spotted near the base then there will be nowhere for you to hide."

He shoots me a look. "I am fast."

"Not fast enough." I snap. "We will not underestimate these people. Those steel towers prove that they are decades ahead of us in terms of technology. You cannot seriously suggest streaking across that wasteland to try and find a way in. That could be akin to a child throwing rocks at a mountain."

Luca's face colours and Rowan shifts uncomfortably beside me. Only Jaron seems satisfied, which is all I need to push past this needless bickering.

"Let's go over what we already know." I rub my forehead, thinking. "The airships dock through an opening at the very top of the dome."

"Your City's airships appear the same as these strangers'." Jaron looks to me. "Perhaps one of your ships could land in their camp."

I mull over the idea, shaking my head slowly. "Too conspicuous. An entire crew of Miners and Wasters, even if we disguised ourselves, would be too cumbersome to hide in plain sight. We need to think smaller."

"Can one of us smuggle aboard their ship?" Rowan speaks up, haltingly.

I chew my lip, exchanging a look with Luca as we mentally review the ship's layout.