The Truth

Zeile's POV

My entire workday all I could think about was the question Xiao wanted me to ask my parents, so when the time came that I was off of work I went straight to my mom.

"Hey mom, I have a question" I start and she looks at me with a smile "and I have an answer" she says in response "well, how I got home from mondstadt is that Xiao came to get me. He came to get me because someone had broke in, the only reason I was able to call for him is that the intruder was confused when he looked at me. And I don't think it's because he got the wrong person. After all, he had been looking at me before" I explain.

My mom softly smiled "Your eyes" she says and I tilt my head in confusion "What?" I question and she giggles softly in response "Your eyes glow whenever you get scared and you were always so scared of the dark, Micah would always ask about it every Halloween night, and your father and I would always say it just happens because of your eye color" my mom says, smiling as she reminisces.

"Why do they do that" I ask super confused "Because you're part Adeptus" she starts and I freeze "your father is human and I am half Adeptus" my mom cheerfully explains and I felt super confused "What" is all I'm able to say "Haven't you heard what people say, I'm from Mondstadt but no one from Mondstadt knows me, it's because I was in Mondstadt many years ago. And haven't you wondered why you were rarely hurt as a kid despite how clumsy you were" she says.

My mom smiles and gently pats my head "I never thought to tell you because your Adeptal powers aren't strong enough to be noticeable, though I knew it'd be brought up soon because a few days ago Xiao came and asked me a few questions about those powers of yours" she explained.

I was left stunned, I didn't know how to feel, she kept a part of me hidden, it felt so important "Why didn't you tell me?" I ask "You being an Adeptus isn't that noticeable, and you seemed so content with just being a human, so I didn't think it was important" she said with a smile but as she saw my expression her smile dropped "I wonder what else you've hidden from me" I say softly but before she could respond I cut her off again "What else have you deemed 'unimportant' and just haven't told me" I ask as I walk away.

My mom felt hurt by my outburst and I just felt lied to, it felt like such a big thing so why did she never tell me, even if it wasn't noticeable I still would've liked to know, if part of what I am is 'unimportant' what else has she hidden from me, what else do I not know about myself, thoughts like these ran through my head as I got to my room and sat on my bed.

I sat in silence for a little while until I heard a soft knock on my door "come in" I softly say, my dad slowly opens the door and stepped in before taking a seat next to me on my bed "I overheard the conversation you had with your mom" he softly says and I just started silent "we should have told you, it's a big part of you and you deserve to know, I'm sorry we never told you until now" he softly spoke.

"Has anything else been hidden from me?" I ask and he sighs softly "The world has many secrets, and people have other sides to themselves that aren't always obvious. There are lots of things people haven't told you, but your mother and I promise we won't keep any more secrets from you anymore" he says, after hearing this I felt some sense of closure but it still wasn't enough.

"I'll leave you alone for a bit. Give you some time to think" my dad says as he stands up and leaves my room, shutting the door behind him as he left, I wonder who he was talking about 'There are lots of things people haven't told you' it definitely felt like he was talking about someone in particular but I had no idea who it could be.

Preview

I felt Xiao grab my arms and hold me steady before pulling me close to him "just your company is enough" he says and as I looked up at him he averted his gaze "I'm dating you for you, not your cooking"- it felt like my body was on fire and not in the good way- "I promise that I won't let anyone hurt you... Just please don't make that person be me without a reason"