28: Under the Moon

By the time you were done cleaning, the evening sun was already setting, with the sky now a mix of orange and purple. The sound of birds chirping outside added to the peaceful ambiance, signaling the approaching nightfall. As you admired your handiwork, a sense of accomplishment washed over you. Now that the room was gleaming, it was the perfect time to relax and unwind. All that was left to do was lay down the tatami mat and take a bath.

As you strolled along the engawa, you glanced through the sliding doors and caught a glimpse of Shinjuro-sama in the living room, engrossed in a book. Not wanting to interrupt him, you quietly made your way across the dining room only to catch a whiff of a delicious aroma coming from the kitchen.

Opening the shoji, you spotted Senjuro stirring something in a pot. You were surprised since Kyojuro never told you that his little brother can cook.

"Oh, hey, Onee-chan!" The young boy said. "Are you finished cleaning your room? Sorry, I couldn't help you."

"It's quite alright, Senjuro, and yes, I'm finished!" You say, walking up to him.

"Anyways, what are you making? It smells good!" You said, looking into the pot. Inside were a mix of vegetables, noodles, tofu slices, and pieces of steak. The delicious aroma of the dish wafted through the air, making your stomach growl in anticipation.

"Sukiyaki!" He says.

"Oh wow, who taught you how to cook, Sen?" You can't help but ask.

"I-I sort of... taught myself actually!" He confesses shyly, and you couldn't help be in awe at this.

"That's amazing!"

"Yeah, I started learning months after our mother passed, since father was unable and Oniichan was too busy being a demon slayer." He tells you.

"It was a difficult time for our family, and I could see the strain it was putting on father. With Oniichan working hard in becoming a demon slayer, I took it upon myself to learn the skills necessary to take care of things at home," he explains.

His words tugged at your heartstrings. In this time and era, it was natural for children to work and help provide for their families. As you leaned down and gave him a kiss on the cheek, you couldn't help but be proud of him for his determination and selflessness to help his family.

"You're a saint, Senjuro. You deserve gold for providing your family in such a way!" You say, causing the mini Rengoku to blush bashfully.

"Aww, t-thank you, Oneechan! But I honestly don't mind."

"Hmm, I tell you what, how's about I help you from now on? I'll even teach you new recipes and how to make my Obachan's famous curry rice." You say, smiling as the young boy's eyes lit up at this.

The thought of being able to bond with him over cooking and creating delicious meals together fills you with joy. You can already envision the two of you spending quality time in the kitchen.

"R-really? You'd do that for me?" He beams, and you nod.

"Thanks, Oneechan; you're the best sister-in-law ever!♡" He praised.

God, this child has truly stolen your heart! How could anyone be this freaking precious and get away with it? You thought, nuzzling your cheek against his affectionately.