Learning to Fly

Song - Learning to Fly by Tom Petty

I barely sleep the night before we leave. The Wolf Council headquarters is in Wyoming, it's a short flight for us. I've never been to a council meeting, or to Wyoming.

Gem brought over a few business casual outfits for me to bring, I don't have many items that would work for this occasion. I opt for slacks and a button down shirt for the plane ride. I pull my hair into a sleek ponytail and rim my green eyes with makeup.

My father and brother are waiting outside when I bring my small suitcase to the car.

"If warriors from North Dakota and Idaho weren't there they would have been massacred," I hear James saying.

"That young Alpha needs to learn some humility. He's lucky the council gave him no choice but to accept the help!" My dad sounds aggravated.

"I wonder if he'll be at this meeting, all things considered, I wanted to meet him," James says as we slide into our seats.

Dad looks back at me before speaking, my headphones are in so he continues.

"Why? Don't buy into all that bullshit, son. Just because he became an Alpha at eighteen doesn't mean anything, he might be strong but his arrogance almost cost his pack. It's been three years, he should know better" now dad sounds really aggravated.

I want to ask questions but I'm not supposed to be listening. Everyone has heard of the Alpha in Montana. He's the youngest wolf to ever take the position. His pack is supposedly huge and churning out warriors like nobody's business. I wonder if he was attacked by the rouges?

A few single women from our pack went to a mate ball last year and saw him there. He was all anyone talked about for weeks after.

When we arrive at the small airfield I recognize several other Alphas from other packs around Washington. My hands fidget in my lap.

Alpha Dean and his son Leon are here. I hate them. They make no attempt to hide their dislike for me, so I do the same. I know a lot of wolves think I'm strange, I can't shift and the Moon Goddess gives me insights but I don't understand their immense loathing. I'm not doing anything bad, I'm just different from them. They don't even have the excuse that I killed their Luna.

Leons lips pull into a smirk when he sees us approaching.

"Alpha James," he smiles at my dad before nodding to my brother. When my dad and his begin talking he steps closer to me.

"Why are you here? This is a wolf council, you don't belong here."

"Wow, Leon, very original!"

He opens his mouth to say something, undoubtedly hurtful, when his dad calls him to board the plane.

"Ignore him," James whispers down to me.

If I didn't know better I might have thought that he was trying to be encouraging, brotherly. Unfortunately, I do know better, he doesn't want me to act out and embarrass the pack or upset my dad.

I nod quietly while boarding behind him.

"Your tip came in just in time," an Alpha leans down and nudges me, "Alpha Elijah better kiss your feet when he sees you!"

I want to roll my eyes at his "tip" comment but I refrain. No one fully understands what it is that I do, how it happens, why or when. It wasn't a tip it was a warning from the Moon Goddess herself.

Alpha Elijah. So the youngest Alpha was the one that was attacked.

When the plane takes off I pull my headphones out and actually use them. My mind wanders to the Moon Goddess, to her vague insights into the future.

I remember the first time I was summoned, I was ten. She told me about a vampire in Canada that was planning an attack on the Elders. When I woke up I was hysterical. I told my father immediately. He knew the prophecy, he knew I was supposed to be gifted with foresight but he didn't seem to believe me. He eventually passed the information up the chain of command. They didn't believe me.

Two days later there was an attack and three of the seven wolf patriarchs and matriarchs were killed.

After that, we were given a direct line of access to the council and I haven't been ignored since.

Sometimes there are attacks or accidents and people blame me, like I should have warned them. The Goddess only shows me what she wants to show me.

I feel an uneasy sense of anxiety. My wolf is uptight and on edge. It feels like pacing, like my mind is jittery and can't keep still. I've grown used to my wolf and how we communicate. Other people don't understand it but it works for me. It's not like actual talking, we just feel each other.

Maybe it's nerves about being in front of the council in person for the first time. I want them to approve of me, to see my value, even though I don't have a "real" wolf. I'm always searching for acceptance and coming up just shy. I'm useful. Useful doesn't mean appreciated or wanted.

I get lost in my music, staring out at the clouds. Eventually we break below the cloud coverage and I see land far below. Slowly we get closer and closer. Wyoming looks...flat. The plains stretch out as far as the eye can see.

Mountains build in the distance. As we get closer and closer to the ground a large, lodge type building at the base of the mountains draws my attention. This must be headquarters.

I rub my hands against my pants, feeling nervous again. I hope this goes well. The plane touches down on a strip of concrete in a field near the building.

We deplane and walk through the windy plains toward the lodge. There must be at least one hundred cars here.

Shit.

I hope the angry Alpha from the phone the other day has had enough time to cool down. I don't want to be yelled at in front of all of these people.

Everyone is gathering in a large conference room with three huge tables set up for everyone to sit.

I take my seat while everyone else stands, mingling. I can't help but laugh at my name card, "Sorcha."

I watch everyone, greeting one another, some old friends, some meeting for the first time.

"Alpha James," I hear a deep, raspy voice in the crowd. He isn't speaking loudly but it rings in my ears, clear as a bell. My heart hammers in my chest.

I vaguely hear my father and brother replying. I force my eyes up and my heart stops cold in my chest. His back is turned to me. Even without seeing his face, I know.

Mate.