A Matter of Trust

Song - A Matter of Trust by Billy Joel

I wake up, not in bed with my mate, but with a piece of paper.

"Grabbing breakfast and coffee. Take a bath if you're sore, I'll bring the food up. Don't you dare get dressed!"

I laugh and roll out of bed. I stretch slightly, all of my muscles ache.

I pile my hair onto my head as the tub fills. I catch sight of my mark in the mirror and can't help but stare at it.

So much for taking things slow.

We're mates, we're just going to have to do this together. We'll take one day at a time until we figure it out.

When there is enough water for me to get in I slip into the slightly too hot water and try to relax my muscles.

After a few minutes I perk up. He's here. I don't get out in case he wants to join me.

"Sorsha," there is a light knock on the bathroom door.

"Come in."

He leans against the sink, "are you feeling ok?"

"I'm sore but I'm good," I smile at him.

"Are you still up for the warrior trials? If not you can skip it. I know you're probably tired, no one would be upset if..."

"Elijah!" I cut him off, "I'll come. Geez, I'm sore, it's no big deal."

He bites his lip, "my mark looks so fucking good on you. Will you wear your hair up like that today so I can see it."

I roll my eyes, men.

"That can be arranged. What are we having for breakfast?"

"No french toast today but I was able to get waffles with a berry sauce."

I start to climb out and he watches my body with his mouth slightly open.

"Why are you dressed if I have to be naked?"

He doesn't answer, just starts stripping his clothes off. Once he's naked he joins me in the bedroom. I can't help but stare at him. His build and muscles are attractive enough but with tattoos on top of it, forget it!

"You're staring," he smirks.

"Because you're getting hard," I smirk when his face falls.

"I can't help it. Last night was... fuck, I'm still speechless. Was it... for you, how was it?"

The nervousness in his voice makes me smile.

"It was better than I ever hoped it would be."

He shifts uncomfortably in the bed, "we should stop talking about it."

When I look down I see his length laying across his stomach, I can't just leave him like that...

After breakfast and our various other activities, we walk toward the training grounds. Elijah has his hand on my neck possessively, I don't know why he's being weird, we're marked.

"Stay right here with me," he growls and I gape at him.

"Why are you acting like this? What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

We're seated in chairs down on the field. I feel Elijah tense as a group approaches.

The group of level four elite graduates comes to sit in chairs behind ours.

He gives them quick greetings then moves to sit again.

"Is that your Luna?" One of them asks and he grits his teeth.

The young looking man takes a side step away from Elijah, "Hi, Luna, it's nice to meet you. I'm Cole."

"Hi, Cole. I'm Sorsha," Elijah's arms flex and his shoulders hunch defensively.

"We all heard about yesterday! I wish you were here when I was still a trainee," he laughs but I'm thinking he has a death wish.

"I heard you're from a pack in Washington! So am I." He smiles casually but something feels off.

"Yeah, I'm from Washington..."

"Alright, Cole. Enough."

Cole winks at me and puts his hands up in surrender.

Elijah growls and grabs my arm which I promptly jerk away from him.

"What is wrong with you?

"Nothing, I just don't like him and I don't want him talking to you."

I don't argue but something is going on. I settle into my seat as the trials begin. I know Elijah is nervous because of what happened yesterday. A mistake like that can't be made in front of a council representative.

Even though I'm annoyed at him I take his hand to try to comfort him. He holds it tightly, rubbing his thumb over my palm.

The trials run in order from level one through level four. By the time the level fours step onto the field everyone is quiet, watching on the edge of their seats.

Each round the drills and obstacles get more difficult and impressive. I can't believe the things they are training these young wolves to do.

"Elijah, this is absolutely incredible," I lean in and whisper to him, "you should be so proud."

He's relaxed some by now. He smiles down at me, "thank you. I'm sorry about earlier. I'm an asshole when I'm tense."

"Hmm...I hadn't noticed," I quirk my brow at him.

He leans down and places a chaste kiss to my lips. When I focus on the field again I see Cole standing across the field talking to Layla. I notice her looking in our direction. I feel Elijah tense beside me. When I turn to him he's staring at them with murderous rage emanating off of him.

When he feels my eyes on him he rips his glance from them to the group of trainees assembling at the obstacle course.

What the fuck is going on?! My wolf is frantic. Is he jealous that they're talking?

As soon as the trials end I stand without a word and leave. Elijah is stopped by the council representative and a few of the trainers. I can feel his eyes on me until I'm too far to be seen.

"Where the fuck are you?" His voice growls through the link.

"I'm going home, Elijah. I thought I'd give you some space to talk to your girlfriend."

I block the link and jog the back trail toward the house.

It only takes ten minutes for the door to slam closed so violently that I feel the house shake.

"Sorsha!" He yells and I hear his feet pounding against the stairs.

He goes into our room first but I'm in the guest room. After just a moment he rips the door open.

"My girlfriend, Sorsha, seriously?"

"Why were you so upset that she was talking to Cole?"

"Not because of her! It wasn't jealousy. I told you, I don't like him. That little shit likes to cause trouble."

"You're fucking lying to me. I can feel it. You must have forgotten that I'm your marked mate. I can feel that your wolf is mad at you for lying to me! Go back to her! Fuck you!"

A deep menacing growl rips through him as his muscles clench. He's losing control. He shifts and snarls angrily, but not at me.

His wolf is huge and almost completely black. He watches me for a moment before running from the room.

I lay down in the guest bed and force my eyes closed wishing for sleep.