Missing You

Song - Missing You by John Waite

I'm snuggled under the blankets in Gems big, soft bed. She lays beside me and runs her fingers through my hair. Not even dancing can fix my mood today.

I know I have to get up and start to pack but I don't move. Where will I go in Montana? Who will comfort me?

"I'm only a phone call away. If you need me I'm always right here. I love to fly you know, I will come whenever you need me."

I press myself against her, letting her hold me like a child for a few minutes.

"I have to go pack," I sigh.

"Before you go, I got you something," she points to a bag on her dresser.

I hesitate to look inside of it. The smirk on her face is making me skeptical. I peel back the paper and flush red. I gape at her.

"Oh my God! Gem!"

She throws her head back and laughs loudly, "you'll thank me later!"

"Lingerie! Gemma!"

"Just slip it in with your things," she smiles mischievously at me.

"Its bold of you to assume we're going to be having sex. He doesn't want me, Gem."

She rolls her eyes. I don't think I've done a good job explaining to her how he looks at me, like he's conflicted.

I take the bag and make my way back to my room. I stayed with Gemma, laying in her bed for two days. Cash came to see me and ask about my mate but otherwise I haven't seen anyone.

The house is quiet, everyone must be out. As I pass dad's office he calls me. I freeze and turn around slowly. When I peek into his dark office he's sitting behind his desk.

"I put a few crates in your room. Whenever you have an address, I will make sure they get sent to you," his voice is quiet.

"I... thanks, dad," I turn to leave but he speaks again, quietly.

"He called me, asked me for your phone number. I didn't give it to him, I figured you would have if you wanted him to have it. I left his number on your desk."

I'm speechless, I can't help but smile.

"I hope you and your mate are happy together," his eyes are sad, as always, but I know he's sincere.

"I hope so, too," I barely whisper.

I walk up to my room in a daze. What a strange interaction. That might be the most he's said to me without a reason, ever.

When I get to my room there are three crates that I begin to fill with books and clothes. I take one suitcase and fill it with things I want to have with me immediately.

I find the paper with Elijah's phone number and hold it in my hand. I want to text him but I don't want him to know that. He ready holds all of the cards here.

Eventually, I give in and write to him.

-Alpha, this is Sorsha. Just texting you so that you have my number.

I stare at the message, wishing I could unsend it. I don't know what to call him. Elijah seems too informal, which is ridiculous because we're mates.

After watching my phone lay dormant on my desk I decide to quickly shower and go to sleep. Waiting for him to respond is desperate and pathetic.

I pull on a pair of panties and an oversized Fleetwood Mac band tee. I lay in my bed and stare at my phone for a few more minutes, desperate and pathetic, before forcing myself to turn over and sleep.

"Do you not trust me?" Her soft voice surrounds me.

"It's not a matter of trust. I'm not sure you want happiness for me, it's different."

I know it's bold to talk to the Moon Goddess like this but I'm angry. It's not like she doesn't know how I feel whether I say it or not.

"Why do you think this?" Her voice is calm, giving nothing away.

"My mother, no wolf, my mate hates me..."

She laughs, a melodic, sweet sound that makes my skin feel warm.

"Your mate does not hate you. You were made for eachother. Give him time, break down his walls and let him do the same."

"That's easier said than done, Goddess. I'm afraid. I've been so lonely all my life. I thought my mate would fix it but now I have to work for his approval."

"Be patient with him, he is lost. Your life has been difficult, so has his."

I feel tears slip down my cheeks, the bond making me ache at the thought of his suffering.

"Trust in my love for you," her voice fades and I feel my body being shaken lightly.

"Wake up, Sorsha," I recognize the deep, rasping voice. I must still be dreaming.

I feel rough hands touching my cheek softly, tingles exploding across my skin.

My eyes flutter open and adjust to the darkness in my room.

"E-Elijah?"

He chuckles, "after I gave your dad my number you never reached out. I started to panic. I got your message when I landed here."

"I was at my aunt's house. I only got the message tonight."

"Can I lay down and sleep with you?" He clears his throat. I feel his nervousness through the bond.

I scoot over in the bed, making space for him to lay down. He moves to lay beside me and his hand grazes my hip. His breath hitches and a low rumbling hum vibrates through his chest.

I flush both from embarrassment and how much I liked the sound.

He lays beside me stiffly, both of us being extra careful not to touch each other.

"I-I missed you," he whispers into the quiet. I suppress my smile even though it's dark.

"I missed you, too," I tell him as I feel his pinky wrap gently around mine.

I drift to sleep listening to the soft sound of his breathing, our pinkies linked together. The Moon Goddess' words swirl through my dreams.

"Give him time. Break down his walls."