Tangerine

Song - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

"Are there really bombs?" I ask him as he drives back down the long driveway.

"Yes, how else do you think we're going to flee the country? Everyone will be preoccupied and we'll slip out unnoticed. Once the dust settles, we'll be long gone."

Shit.

I know that I have to figure something out, fast, I'm running out of time.

My arms and legs are still numb and heavy but I can move them. We pass through the small town and I cringe. I need to make something happen before we get back to the compound.

"Hey, Ben?"

"Yeah?"

"I am so sorry."

"Huh, what for..."

I lunge at him and jam the needle into his eye.

He lets out a blood curdling scream and I feel the car careening hard to the left.

Shit.

We fly off the road and slam into a large ditch. The front end of the car smashes into the side and we lurch forward painfully before we stop moving.

I turn toward Ben. He's not conscious, there is a large injury to his head but he's breathing.

I feel like my whole body is broken but I force my door open and roll out onto the ground.

I climb on my knees up the side of the ditch and run. I can't stand completely, I'm sure my ribs are broken. I hobble through the field as fast as I can.

I stumble and fall several times as my heavy limbs try to move. I can't help but to look over my shoulder. Ben could wake up at any second and it will take him no time to catch up to me.

I hear a car screech to a halt behind me.

"Ben!"

It's Michael.

I whimper and pull my battered body faster, heaving painful breaths in through my broken chest.

I hear a snarling growl. I don't turn around, I know what's happening. Michael is shifting and he will be on top of me in seconds flat.

Hot tears burn in my eyes as I push forward. I'm going to move until I can't. I refuse to be still and wait for him.

My ears ring as I run further into the open nothingness. I've got to give it to them, they really did pick a prime location. Escape is nearly impossible, there is no where to go.

I feel a sharp pain across my chest then a strange lightness. My feet aren't touching the ground. He swiped his paw at me so powerfully that it sent me flying through the air.

I land on the ground with a sickening thud. I try to move but my chest is on fire. I run my hand over it. Blood.

I feel his hot breath against my neck. He's standing over me. My eyes flutter closed and I picture Elijah. I see his face while he sleeps, the hard edges smoothed out while the weight of the world is lifted for a few moments. I smile through the burning ache.

"Please," I beg the Goddess, "please don't let this crush him. Bring him happiness."

I wait for it, braced for impact. The blow never comes. No bite, or hit or fangs. Nothing.

I feel warm suddenly. I must be dying. My glossy eyes pull open. A gray wolf is standing over my body.

"Cash?" I whisper but the wolf doesn't move. I force myself to look where his gaze is focused.

A black wolf, well nearly, is fighting furiously against a tan wolf.

Elijah.

I cough and my body shakes.

Oh no, please!

I grip the dirt below me, trying to anchor myself to the ground. It's no use fighting it.

I slip into darkness.

"Open your eyes, Sorsha." Her voice is warm, smiling.

Hmm...this is...different.

I open my mouth to speak but I don't know what to say. Instead of the expected vast, bright nothingness, I'm still here.

I'm standing in the field. Well, hovering over it. I can see my body, Cash's wolf is still standing over it.

I see Elijah's wolf fighting a different wolf now. The tan wolf is beaten, laying on the ground. It must be Ben he's fighting. His wolf looks much more prepared for a fight than his fathers. After all, Elijah trained him to be.

"What's happening?" I finally find words.

"I just wanted to talk."

"Am I dying?"

"Do you want to know why I picked you? Why you are the spirit wolf?"

"Yes, but don't think I didn't notice you ignoring my question."

Her melodic laugh surrounds me like an embrace.

"I picked you because your spirit is pure. Through every trial, you never faltered. Through pain and loneliness you never lost the love in your heart or the gentleness of your soul. Everyone who wrongs you may be forgiven, they need only ask. You don't hold grudges, or seek vengeance. I picked you as my voice to my children because I knew you would never fail me. No matter your personal circumstance, you always deliver the message."

I gasp as Elijah's wolf takes ahold of Ben's neck. He flips him to the ground with a crack. Elijah shifts and sprints toward me. Cash moves to the side, standing guard. Elijah pulls me into his arms and rocks me. My heart burns as I see his back shudder, he's crying.

"You thought finding a mate would fix you. That your life's problems would be solved. Were they?" She questions.

I watch Elijah cradle my bloody, bruised body.

"Yes, I think so. It hasn't been perfect but I wouldn't trade it. He does fix me and I fix him. Please, let me go back to him, Goddess."

"Go ahead then," I can hear the smile in her voice.

I can't open my eyes but I can move my hand, moving it to touch his.

"Sorsha?" His voice is broken and small.

I feel myself being lifted off the ground, my body is weightless, floating.

The next several minutes are filled with sounds that I recognize, doors slamming, tires screeching against the ground, chaotic yelling, quiet, beeping.