Take a Chance on Me

Song - Take a Chance on Me By ABBA

After blowing out my hair and lining my eyes with liner and mascara I stare at my outfit.

He was wearing black jeans, a white tshirt and beat up Doc Martins when he left. I don't need a ball gown here.

I pick a dark green bodysuit that makes my eyes pop and and a pair of tight, light wash jeans.

I hear the door close downstairs and my heart flutters. I step out of the room and see him over the balcony. He's setting a few to-go cartons on the counter.

I walk down the stairs slowly and he looks up. He smiles and leans against the counter, watching me walk toward him.

"How do you look so good after not sleeping?"

"Well, Alpha, I have youth on my side," I say sweetly.

He throws his head back and laugh, "you calling me old?"

He lifts me up, setting me down on the kitchen island, handing me one of the cartons.

"I don't usually eat breakfast, I start my day early with meetings but we can push them going forward. I'll go with you to the packhouse for breakfast."

"I would like that if you're sure you don't mind rearranging your days."

"I don't mind."

I open the carton and smile. Strawberry stuffed french toast. He was listening last night. I'm sure there is a loaded meat and cheese omelet in his carton, with a side of crispy hashbrowns if they were available.

He pulls himself to sit next to me and grabs his carton. I smile when he opens it. I was listening too.

"You ready to meet everyone?"

"I'm nervous but yeah, I'm ready."

"Good because I was stopped by at least twenty people asking where you are. In about an hour we're going to the dining room where everyone will be gathered."

I rub my hands against my jeans.

"They are all really excited. You have nothing to worry about."

He kisses my forehead before putting his arm around my shoulder. We sit, our feet dangling for a few minutes.

"I know this might be too soon but I was hoping we could have a Luna ceremony soon. We could invite your aunt to come out."

"Elijah, I..." I stop, trying to word this correctly, "I don't want to rush you. I understand why you didn't want a mate and why you were upset when we met. I don't want you to do things you aren't ready for on my account. With everything you've been through I understand that you might want to take things slow, warm up to the idea of a mate..."

He smiles down at me, "Admittedly, I still worry about the power you have over me. I'm the Alpha but... fuck, Sorsha, you own me. The more time we spend together the more I realize I was wrong. My mom was sick and my dad didn't leave her, I'm not sure that's entirely the fault of being mates. He loved her. I wanted something to blame. Regardless of how I felt the Moon Goddess put us together. Every second I spend with you the bond grows, my feelings grow."

He's saying everything I want to hear but I'm nervous. I don't want him to switch it up and regret moving too fast later.

"I just don't want you to feel trapped."

He sighs and wraps his pinky over mine, "I don't feel trapped. You're so understanding and perfect, I don't feel trapped, Sorsha."

He jumps down from the table and walks around the island. His back is turned to me and he's fumbling with something on the counter.