Lovely Day

Song - Lovely Day by Bill Withers

Aunt Gemma left today after visiting for a week. This visit was uneventful which is absolutely perfect. We spent most of the time dancing and attempting to bake. This week was french macarons. Not a single batch of those time consuming, labor intensive little cookies came out right.

At least Elijah enjoyed eating our attempts.

Now, I'm sitting on Elijah's lap in his office looking over applications for the next group of level one trainee hopefuls.

"This kid looks good," I place the application in the pile that will be reviewed further.

For the past several weeks life has fallen into a happy, secure rhythm. Elijah and I still stay up all night, talking, playing, loving each other and our days are spent with the pack. Once Layla was transferred to her cousin's pack in Louisiana, everything fell into place.

This pack has truly become my home. I'm accepted and loved here. I'm never lonely. I lean back into his chest and sigh contentedly as I grab another application.

Suddenly there is a frantic knock on the door. A security guard bursts in before Elijah can answer.

"Alpha, I'm sorry! We can't stop her!"

"What? Stop who?" Elijah starts to stand.

A petite woman with long, thick dreadlocks walks into the office calmly.

"You can go," she tells the guard who turns to leave, he looks at us with frantic eyes. He's not controlling his body.

Elijah growls and moves to stand.

"Stay seated, Alpha, I mean you no harm."

His body thuds against the seat and he snarls angrily. She's extremely powerful, it radiates off of her.

"Calm down, Alpha. I'm an old friend of your Luna."

I scrunch my nose, I've never seen this woman in my life.

She walks toward a chair and her black lace dress blows like there is wind in the room. Her silver eyes stand out against her dark skin.

"Sorsha," she nods to me.

"I-I'm sorry, have we met?"

"I am the sorceress Aradia," her voice has a strange echo to it, everything feels like a dream.

I freeze, the sorceress that told my parents about the fate of our family. My blood goes cold.

"I am here with a prophecy. You are favored above all others. The Moon Goddess will bless you with five children. The boy you carry now will..."

I choke and Elijah gasps behind me, "excuse me? The boy... now?" Now? As in, right now?

She smiles, "sorry to ruin the suprise. The boy you carry now will be a white wolf, he will be invaluable to your species. His strength and power will be unparalleled. After him three more sons will follow. All will be Alphas."

"All? How?"

"They will be called upon to lead packs around the world. Lastly, your daughter..."

My heart stops and I feel Elijah tense beneath me, his chest heaving against my back.

"Your fate is not your mothers," she says with a kind smile.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and Elijah relaxes. I feel his arms snake around my waist, tightly.

"Your daughter will be the beloved to the vampire prince. Her existence will usher in an era of peace between wolves and vampires that will last a millennium. She will be Queen over the vampire race and she will be adored. The Moon Goddess has seen your faithfulness and has chosen to bless you beyond measure. Your bloodline will reign in wolf and vampire kingdoms forevermore."

"T-Thank you," my voice barely above a whisper. This is a lot to take in.

She stands and bows her head respectfully before walking out the door as calmly and quietly as she came.

I turn around slowly, still in a state of shock. Elijah's face is as bright as a child on Christmas morning. He has a huge smile painted across his face and tears in his eyes.

"A baby boy," he smiles, "then four more babies."

A laugh bubbles up from my throat. I feel like I'm floating, like I could fly if I tried to.

I press my hand to my stomach and Elijah rests his on top, a deep, satisfied hum vibrating through him.

"Our daughter is going to be mated to a vamp," he scrunches up his face and sighs.

I throw my head back laughing until tears stream down my cheeks.

"You'll be nice to him!" I scold him and his scowl deepens.

We walk home in a daze. My skin tingles and my heart feels so full it could burst. I can't believe how different my life is from just a few months ago.

--------

"I was really afraid when she started," Elijah admits as we lay curled up together in our bed.

"I was too."

"You've lived through having your life already fated. Would you do anything differently? Is there anything we should do for our kids?"

I smile, we really do seem to share a brain sometimes.

"I was thinking about that actually. What if we don't tell anyone? We know our kids' destinations, not their journeys. We should let them figure out their lives on their own. Eventually, they will get to where they need to be, without all the pressure and judgment from other people. It's hard to grow up under the shadow of a prophecy, we should let them be free from that weight."

"You're already the best mom ever." He kisses my neck.