Chapter 40: Beloved Queen

You laid in your room, having locked yourself in there for hours. You were too shocked to even move. Ever since the funeral you refused to open your door to anyone.

You heard the large doors open anyways, and you didn't look over but you were so confused as to who had a key to get in. And who would come in without knocking first.

You felt the mattress sink in behind you, and you still refused to turn around. You knew who it could've been, but still didn't say a word. Neither did she. So for a while, you sat in silence.

"I know you're awake." She sighed, and you still refused to get up. "I hate to say it, but you can't just lay around and be sad for the rest of your life. I know you're upset, and I am too. But I don't get to rest, now do I?" You still didn't speak. "Selfish." She mumbled, and you sat up and turned around with a small gasp.

"I'm selfish? I'm selfish for mourning my mother?" You snapped, and you elder sister sighed and got up off of your bed. "Amirah, nobody said that you have to keep working. Father said he'd help!"

"I know father's helping, but he's not doing it right! This kingdom is going to be driven to madness if I don't step in!" She yelled, and you rolled your eyes. "All I want is a little help from you. We're doing this for mother."

"It's Amirah's way or the highway, I guess. All the time." You scoffed. "I'm not the one who's becoming the future queen, first of all. And second, I don't know what I'm supposed to do!"

"Hyrule has gone absolutely mad since mother's death, and I need your help to keep them from getting worse! I can't do this by myself!"

"It's been eight days since she died, and all I want is a bit of alone time to grieve!"

"You've been locked in here since the funeral a week ago! I don't think I'm asking much of you!"

"I don't think I'm asking much of you trying to get some space!" You snapped this, and she looked a bit taken a back before she started walking to the door.

"Fine. Have your space. Urbosa and Rhoam are way more help then you are." She slammed the door, and you used this opportunity to yell.

"That's fine Amirah! Put more of your burdens on your so called friends!" You shouted, a part of you hoping she didn't hear you. But she stormed back into the room, and if looks could kill, you were sure you'd be dead.

"You did not just say that." She growled, and as scared as you were, you held your ground. She slammed the door closed and walked back over to the bed aiming a finger at you. "You don't get to talk to me that way. I've let you lay around and cry for a week straight while I'm trying to keep this whole place together!"

"If you need help from not only Urbosa, your boyfriend, and your little sister, then your the one not doing your job right." You looked away from her gaze, and then continued after the silence got to be too much. "Maybe Hyrule deserves a better future than the one you're trying to give it!"

"So what you're saying is that I'm doing bad for my kingdom?" You didn't do anything but sit and not look at her, and she let out a scornful laugh before she broke into tears. "Fine then. I'll go sit in my room and cry for eight days and we'll see what happens to Hyrule and if the one that calls herself their 'princess' can handle it any better!" She walked back to the entrance to the room and stopped before leaving. "Maybe you should try becoming the queen then if you know so much." She then left the room, slamming the door a third and final time, and you laid back down and continued to cry, now not only sad but frustrated on top of it all.

~~~~

You woke up to feeling pressure on the bed next to you, but you didn't open your eyes as that would fully wake you up. But then the person move a bit, and you quickly realized who it was.

You felt her hand on your arm, and you only thinned your lips and continued sob. She wrapped her arms around you and you finally turned around and hugged her back.

"_____," Her voice was soft, and it calmed you down in a way. "I know you're still struggling but you still need to be taking care of yourself."

"You have a kingdom to worry about." You managed through tears and sniffling. "You don't have time to worry about me." You pulled away to see her - her golden hair was flowing down her shoulders and her emerald eyes were half covered by her lids. She looked exhausted herself.

"You're my sister, of course I'm going to worry about you." She gently rubbed her thumb in circles around your cheekbone, and you felt the tension in your body loosen a bit with her soft touch. "I'm sorry for yelling at you this morning. It wasn't in my place."

"It's alright, Ami." You sighed as she hugged you tightly again. "I shouldn't have said you weren't going to make a good queen. I really don't mean that. And I should be helping you."

"And I didn't mean it when I said you had no place as a royal. You know I could never take on this kingdom without you by my side." She began stroking your hair, and you wrapped your arms around her neck and rested your chin on her shoulder.

"I think you're going to make a great queen. You're already a leader to Hyrule." You smiled at her as you pulled back, and she smiled to and wiped a tear from her eye.

"Thank you." She held your hands gently in her own, and you both looked down at them before looking back at each other. "Even now that mother's not here, I think we've got this. You and I are a team, right?"

"Right." You nodded as she held you again, and the pair of you sat comfortably in the embrace for a while, enjoying just finally getting to be with each other for the first time truly since your mother was last with you.

"I love you, _____." She hugged you a bit tighter, and you sniffled and returned it as much as you could.

"I love you too, Amirah." You both let yourselves break back into crying, but at least you were with each other. That was all that would ever matter. Being with your sister.

~•~•~•~

"...I love you too, Amirah." You mumbled in your sleep, and Urbosa looked down at you, as you had fallen asleep with your head on her lap. She smiled softly as a tear fell down her cheek, and she looked out across the Gerudo Desert towards Hyrule.

She was trying her hardest not to show the raw emotion that had been building up inside her ever since Amirah's funeral, so instead all of it started to go numb. She wouldn't admit it to you, or Rhoam, or even to herself, but she was putting up her own fight just trying to continue on the way she had been.

She and Amirah always helped each other lead Hyrule and the Gerudo as a whole, but now Urbosa was missing her best friend. And there was a deep feeling of guilt she had regarding what happened. She felt responsible for Amirah's death, as it had been her request for Amirah to visit, and that visit led Astor to capturing her.

Rhoam tried to reassure her that it wasn't her fault, but that feeling never went away, and only got worse the more she thought about it. She didn't know how exactly to handle it, but she was trying for you and Zelda, and the Gerudo and Hyrule. All she wanted was to continue to honor Amirah.

To honor Hyrule's beloved queen.

___________________________

~The End~