"i'm glad we're on the same page"

chapter 16

i'm glad we're on the same page

it's calum hood's world and we're all just living in it

"So you actually have a boyfriend?"

"No need to humble me with the shocked tone," I told Anna as I let out a dry laugh. I had called my mom earlier in the day and felt it was only right to call Anna to tell her everything as soon as I had a free second. I let out a huff as I spoke again, mostly focused on switching my laundry over but still wanting to give her a hard time for sounding so surprised by my news. "Did you think I was going to scare him away that quickly?"

"Hey, don't put words in my mouth! I'm not shocked because I doubted you, it's just... a change! It's a big thing, Emmie. It has nothing to do with me thinking you've done something that I thought was impossible," she promised, all the while causing me to laugh as she crammed in an explanation. "I haven't been able to refer to someone as Emmie's boyfriend in a while, so it's an adjustment. And it's not like I think you've been doing something wrong all these years—if anything, the male population has entirely fumbled the ball for not taking the opportunity to snatch you up before now."

"Calum is not snatching me up, thank you."

"You know what I mean," she groaned, further amusing me. "What did mom say?"

"She was overly ecstatic—I'm starting to think that none of you thought I had it in me," I joked and heard Anna let out a giggle. "I'm fully prepared for her to ask about things way too often."

"She loves being excited for you."

"I'd hope so," I said with a shrug. "The least she could do is cheer me on after bringing me into this world and forcing me to play the game of life. I still haven't totally figured out what I'm supposed to be doing, but I'm doing my best."

"Please don't get existential on me, I'm trying to bask in my youthful ignorance for as long as possible." I laughed at Anna's words before starting the dryer cycle and heading toward my room.

"When does school start back up?" I asked her, realizing I wasn't sure how much longer of a break she had.

"Wednesday," she pouted.

"That's not so bad, you've got a couple more days of freedom. Then it'll be your birthday!" I spoke in a peppy tone in hopes to persuade her to look at the bright side, but knew she was probably just rolling her eyes.

"I think I hate going to school on my birthday," she told me, which made sense to me because I knew I always hated it as well. "Being at school on your birthday is so lame. It's literally just a neverending cycle of awkwardly having to tell people it's your birthday so that they can half-heartedly wish you a good one before the knowledge completely fleets their mind. They'll never take a note of what the day is, so it's just doomed to happen all over again the next year. You're just forced to celebrate your special day with people who don't care but feel the need to act as if they do so that you don't have a shit day."