"go easy on me, okay?"

chapter 11:

go easy on me, okay?

"What is this?"

It was around six o'clock on a Monday; Calum and I hadn't seen each other for only a day. I had invited him over for a dinner with Cassidy and Graham—I made sure to tell him to come over earlier though, so that we'd have time to catch up.

It was the day before New Year's Eve, so I knew I'd be seeing Calum the night after.

I looked over my shoulder to see Calum holding a small trinket he'd taken off the top of my dresser. I shrugged my shoulders and walked over to him, after I finished folding a blanket and putting it on the corner of my bed. He had come even earlier than I told him, so he caught me cleaning.

This was the first time Calum had been in my bedroom, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of nervous energy between the two of us.

"Just something I found at an antique shop when I was younger... it's some kind of animal. It's so worn out, I've never been able to tell what it is."

"Was it this worn down when you bought it?" I nodded at Calum's question and he seemed puzzled by my answer. "What was so appealing about it?"

"It was on its way to being thrown out... I bought this little guy for a nickel! I felt connected to him." I took the unknown animal figure from Calum's hand and hugged it to my chest. Calum sprouted a smile as he observed me, and I felt my cheeks heat up. To hide my blush, I busied myself with putting the trinket back in its spot.

"How Emerson," Calum commented as he gently pulled on one of my curls, watching as it bounced. "I know I talked to you all of yesterday... but you've been good?" Calum asked, even though he already knew the answer.

"Yeah, as good as always," I told him with a small shrug. "Reese and I are trying to find ways to renovate, so that's what's been going on in here recently." I gently tapped my head before grabbing Calum's hand and leading him out of my bedroom, and to the kitchen.

"I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back there," Calum said, his body language changing as he became visibly embarrassed.

"Oh, don't say that." I was being serious; I didn't want my future boyfriend to ban himself from my workplace. "No one there is upset with you... but we couldn't let you stay that night after starting a fight."

"I know... I just feel like a total idiot," Calum told me, sighing quietly as he leaned against the counter. I walked to the stove and checked on the water that was boiling.

"You don't need to, okay? It's in the past now." I started adding pasta to the pot and I could feel Calum's eyes on me. When I looked back at him to see him staring, I wasn't surprised. "So you regret punching someone over me?" I sent Calum a playful smirk and his eyes playfully rolled in response.