"out of my league"

chapter 8:
out of my league

out of my limit was my favorite 5sos song for 80 years

emerson

"And then what happened?"

"Well... then we left, and he took me home," I told Cassidy, lamely ending my story as I stopped pacing in her and Graham's living room. They were both looking up at me, coffee mugs in their hands, as they laid against each other on their couch. I plopped down on the chair that was placed across from the couch and Graham and Cassidy looked away from me and at each other.

"So... you guys are dating?" Graham asked, slowly looking away from Cassidy and back up at me.

"Well, I mean... we're going on dates," I replied, with a shrug of my shoulders. "How many dates does it take to become a thing? I'm not trying to skip any steps, I just... don't know how to do this."

"Don't ask us," Cassidy said, laughing quietly to herself. "We bumped into each other at a party, sort of knew each other from our Art History class, and then made out all night just to be in a relationship two days later. We didn't follow the steps," Cassidy reminded me of how her and Graham became a couple and I groaned as I placed my head in my hands.

"That is how things started, but we didn't just automatically become Graham and Cassidy... it was still a process." I looked up to see Graham looking over at Cassidy. "We started off slow, going on dates and stuff... we made out before we went on our first date, that's all. It was just as awkward as most first dates, we had to get to know each other just like every other couple does... we're not special." Graham looked over at me and I sighed quietly, wishing I could just skip all the foundational stuff with Calum and get into it.

"I've never started talking to someone that I didn't know before. I mean, my high school boyfriend had been my best friend since the third grade. And even the guys I went on dates with in college had started off as friends. That's why this blind first date shit freaks me out so much. Calum is a mystery to me until I get to know him... and I feel like I haven't gotten to know someone in a really long time," I spoke my thoughts aloud and was thankful that I had Graham and Cassidy listening to me, because I knew they'd help talk me through it.

"Tell me everything you know about him," Graham said and I furrowed my eyebrows which caused him to laugh quietly. "You probably know more than you think, just start giving me facts."

"Well, he... he's only twenty-two, but he's moving into a house. He graduated from Dartmouth, but his best friend from college is originally from Portsmouth and they decided to move in together... sort of like us," I said, smiling to myself as I looked at Graham and Cassidy. "He majored in English Literature, and has no idea where that's going to get him, but he's not incredibly worried about it right now."