"until next time"

chapter two:
until next time

"You're telling me you pushed her down the stairs?" Calum stared at me in awe as I told him the story of my first college party and I laughed quietly while nodding my head

"You're telling me you pushed her down the stairs?" Calum stared at me in awe as I told him the story of my first college party and I laughed quietly while nodding my head. "And you only drank wine?"

"Getting wine drunk is serious," I told Calum, wanting him to know that wine was no joke. Calum blinked, staring at me blankly. He slowly reached over and pulled the wine glass that I was holding out of my hands. I started laughing loudly and he joined in, setting my glass down on the coffee table in his apartment. "She was fine... she limped away with just a twisted ankle. Besides, I'm not as much of a lightweight now. You're in no serious danger, I promise."

"I don't need you getting wine drunk on my couch; I don't think I'd be able to handle it. So, I'm not taking any chances." I smiled at Calum, and eyed the glass, but left it there.

"Thank you for dinner, Calum. It was amazing." Calum seemed pleased with my words, and as he started to tell me it was no trouble, I leaned forward and retrieved my wine glass.

"I'm watching you, Emerson."

"I don't mind that," I told him, shrugging my shoulders slowly as I leaned back into the corner of his couch. He raised an eyebrow at me and I found myself giggling as I brought the wine glass up to my lips.

"Okay, she's had enough—" Calum leaned forward and reached for the glass, but placed his hand over my own instead. "Sorry," he said, laughing quietly as he looked into my eyes. "So, what's your review of the night for Cassidy going to be?" Calum asked, staying close to me with his hand still over mine.

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"I would, that's why I asked," he said, lowering the glass and my hand so that he could see my face clearly. "I'd like to see you again, Emerson." My eyes moved back and forth to look into both of Calum's deep brown eyes, and I couldn't help but find myself surprised by his words. "I'd like to actually take you out, with your knowledge."

"I would... really like that," I said, almost scared the words wouldn't come out even though I wanted them to. I hadn't been on a second date in years and it almost scared me to think about what one might entail.

"Yeah?" Calum asked, seeming surprised. I nodded and he smiled, clearly pleased with my answer. "Great."

"Well, maybe I should get going... so that by the time you call me, I'll be a mystery again. I wouldn't want to overstay my welcome." I pulled the glass away from Calum and placed it back on his coffee table, giving him the opportunity to distance himself from me again.

"Sure... yeah. Do you need a lift home?" Calum asked, watching me as I started to push myself off the couch. If I was planning to go home, I would need a ride, but I had different plans. I turned toward him and slowly shook my head. "Are you going to walk, or?"