"then it's a date"

chapter 13:

then it's a date

"Emerson." I let out a faint sound as I heard someone saying my name. They repeated my name and then I felt a hand come in contact with my arm, which caused me to groan. I slowly opened my eyes and squinted, finding myself looking up at Calum who had let out a soft chuckle. "Good morning."

"Oh, god," I mumbled before letting out an embarrassed laugh. "Good morning," I told him before a yawn could erupt from me.

"I have work, so I have to head out. It's early, so you should get some sleep. I just wanted to let you know I was going." I let myself smile at Calum's words; it was nice waking up to him, even if it hadn't happened so naturally.

"I didn't think about you having work. Last night probably wasn't a great time to ask you to stay—"

"No, I'm glad you asked me," Calum said as he brought his hand to my cheek, caressing it gently as he brushed his thumb against my skin.

"I'm glad you agreed," I told him as I placed my hand on top of his own. "Thanks for letting me know you were going—I would've been sad if I woke up to an empty bed and no excuse."

"I thought you might be," Calum told me before leaning down and pressing his lips to mine. His action caused my stomach to suddenly fill with butterflies, and I smiled against his lips before tiredly kissing him back. "I wish I had more time, but I really should run."

"No, of course—go ahead. I won't keep you any longer," I told him through a laugh. "I'll talk to you later?"

"Of course," Calum said with a smile as he took his hand from my face and began to distance himself. I sat up in bed, feeling myself wanting more from him, even though I knew he needed to go. "I'll call you when my shift's over to see what you're up to... maybe I could swing by later or something? Before the party, I mean." My eyes widened as I realized what day it was.

It was New Year's Eve.

I nodded my head and he smiled before taking a step toward me again. He leaned down to peck my lips, but I placed my hand on his cheek which caused him to stay. We looked at each other for a minute before I crashed my lips into his.

"You should go," I said between kisses—however, we didn't make any sudden moves to stop.

"Mhmm," Calum hummed in agreement as we continued, causing me to let out a quiet laugh. He eventually sat down, and before I knew it, he had basically pulled me in his lap—my legs finding a place on either side of him.

He slowly started to fall backward, causing me to tower over him as he went. By the time we were pulling away, our breathing was heavy, but we were all smiles.

"You'll be late," I told him as I tried catching my breath.

"I'd say you're worth it," Calum told me with a smirk before pecking my lips just once. He flipped us over and pecked my lips again before pulling away, this time pushing himself off of the bed. I countered fairly quickly and sat with my legs off the side of the bed as I looked at him. "I'll see you later."