"i'm all yours"

chapter 15:

i'm all yours

I woke up slowly and let my eyes flutter open, not daring to speed up the process when I felt such deep comfort thanks to the position I was in

I woke up slowly and let my eyes flutter open, not daring to speed up the process when I felt such deep comfort thanks to the position I was in. Pressed against my back, the warmth of Calum's body engulfed me and provided me a special kind of security. Despite being asleep, his bare arms were holding me tight as we laid so close to one another. I smiled at the feeling of being in his arms and turned my head slightly as I pressed a gentle kiss on his arm.

I couldn't remember the last time I woke up feeling this way; having someone I genuinely cared about holding me in a way that made me feel equally cared for. I had known him for such a short time, and we had only just begun any kind of actual relationship, but Calum brought me all sorts of lovely feelings. 

Although I had been sporting a goofy smile with a dreamy look in my eyes, suddenly they grew wide and my smile disappeared. We had made things official the day before. We were really doing this thing? Really giving it a shot? I hadn't exclusively dated a guy in years, I had no clue where to begin.

I hadn't even told my mom yet, which she would never let me live down. I'd have to tell her that we only made the decision today—if I even got the chance to tell her today.

Why was I suddenly freaking out? I swear, sometimes my internal monologue switches to auto-pilot when advances are made and then suddenly whacks me with realization when I'm least expecting. It was a vile cycle.

Bringing me back from my nonsense thoughts, Calum's lips left a kiss amidst my tangled hair and lingered for a moment. They relaxed, but he stayed mostly still, almost as if he had only subconsciously left the kiss as he repositioned himself. The same dreamy smile made its way back to my face as my convoluted thoughts subsided.

Not wanting to break the peaceful silence to wish him a good morning, I opted to turn around in Calum's arms so that he'd get the idea that I wasn't sleeping—that was if he himself was even actually awake.

As I turned in his arms, they adapted to my new position and I was met with his wondrous smile as he squinted tiredly at me. I smiled at the sight and heard myself let out a giggle before saying, "Good morning."

"G'morning, Emerson," he mumbled out, his voice riddled with rasp. "I think that's the best I've slept in weeks—did you sleep okay?" Calum had started off speaking casually until suddenly his tone filled with worry.

"Yes, I slept perfectly," I told him through a laugh in hopes to ease his concern. There was no need for it. It was funny to think this wasn't the first time we had spent the night together; the morning of the time before had been much more rushed. There hadn't been time for any of this kind of interaction; being so close and so aware of one another. "I'm surprised you went to the trouble of building your bed frame. Knowing you're moving so soon, that is."