"message from calum"

chapter four:
message from calum

^^ me if i EVER got a text from calum hood

When I woke up the next morning, it was eight o'clock; I had no reason to be up, but I was wide awake. I stretched out my limbs and was careful not to fall off my small bed.

I sighed at the size of the bed I was in and slowly sat up, looking around my high school bedroom and laughing quietly as I took it all in.

Every time I stayed in my old bedroom, it was as though I traveled back in time. Posters and old pictures covered almost every inch of my walls, and any blank spots allowed my sunflower yellow walls to peak through. It was humorous how dated the room was: my bed, covered in various stuffed animals that I usually slept in the middle of, was pushed into a corner of the room, with a makeshift canopy hanging above it; two tall white book shelves were on either side of my closet, filled with books, DVDs, VHS tapes, trophies and framed pictures; and the door to my walk-in closet was replaced with strings of beads.

I had only graduated high school six years earlier, but my room made it seem like I graduated in 2007. That was mostly due to the fact that when Annie started getting older, she hated sleeping alone, so I had a twin bed in her room until I graduated and I spent most of my time in her room anyway. Other than getting new posters once I was into new bands, my room hadn't been upgraded since around 2008.

However, I liked it. It was nothing like my room in my apartment, of course, but it somehow comforted me to sleep in such an artifact.

Except for the twin bed that never failed to give me incredible back pain, that is.

As I looked around my room, a soft knock came from the opposite side of my door. My head whipped in the direction of the noise and I watched as the door slowly opened and my brother peaked his head inside.

"Hey," I said, sending him a smile and telling him to come in. "What's up?" Wesley switched on the lights and my eyes squinted before getting used to the brightness of my room.

"Annie got plenty of time with you last night, so I thought it was only fair if I got a couple minutes. I thought I was going to have to wake you up." Wesley shrugged his shoulders as he walked further into my room and I rolled my eyes playfully as I scooted over on my bed, creating a spot beside of me so he could sit down. "How are you, squirt?"

"I'm good," I told him, pulling my legs close to my body and criss-crossing them. "How are you? I feel like I haven't talked to you in ages. I know we talk every week, but we never really update each other on important things. How's living at home?"

"It's... okay," Wes told me, bringing his hand to the back of his neck. "I just feel like I shouldn't be here, you know? Sometimes I just think about how backwards my life seems to be going... which is not what I want."