⭒Cracks⭒

So much more was said in the unsaid

_________________________

"My brother isn't like that."

She said it in a quieter voice.

It sounded like she was trying to convince herself......

"But I don't want to drag my brother into the problems that I created."

The dark cadence surprised the boys. They felt that Kaho was more or less talking to herself than to the girl now.

Kaho meanwhile was beginning to slowly spiral into the black hole of guilt and painful memories that haunted her every time she let herself open the lid. She wanted to rid herself of the pain, but the guilt, oh the strong, sticky tentacles of her bitter, horrible guilt kept themselves wrapped around her, dragging her down to murkier depths, drugging her with guilt everytime she tried to struggle. She deserved to be haunted by them. She deserved the pain. She was okay with that. She'd done it for someone she cared about, and she didn't regret it.

"There's my house!!"

The loud voice came quite as a shock and she almost dropped her piggyback passenger.

"Woah Red! Don't jump me like that!" she huffed. The giggle and the bouncing that came after made her smile again.

"Kaori!! Thank God!!! I was so worried, it was getting so late!"

That voice definitely shocked both of them. Kaho looked to her right to see a whitewashed house with the roof gleaming in the evening sun. A short woman stood outside the gates, her face etched with worry and pricks of tears at the corner of her eyes. Behind her were a girl and two boys, slightly older perhaps, than the child on her back. They all wore the same disinterested pouts showing clearly that they didn't want to be here at all.

The mean cousins huh? Let's teach you a lesson then...

Smiling, Kaho went up to the woman.

"Hello ma'am, I'm really sorry to say this, but really, where you expecting an eleven year old to be okay all by herself at the park at six in the evening?" she asked sarcastically, mild disgust bordering her tone.

The woman looked at her, surprised. "Oh but she wasn't alone! Kenji and Akhito were there too.... They said she's the one who wandered off despite their telling her not to" she finished off, slightly irritated.

Behind her the two boys smirked. The girl looked slightly uncomfortable, but she didn't open her mouth to refute her aunt's claims.