Forty Two

Chapter Forty Two.

"No." Natasha simply said. "What? What do you mean no?" Caroline huffed. "I mean no. Do you want to hear it in Spanish? French? Italian?" Natasha added sarcastically. 

"Elena was in the hospital. Come on, Nat, show some respect." Caroline scoffed, pulling Natasha's blankets off her.

"Elena had multiple people who care about her wellbeing. I would not like to be one of those people right now." Natasha stated as politely as possible.

"Look, I'm sorry about Klaus, but he's already dead. It had to be done." Caroline sat on the edge of Natasha's bed. "You're right. We can't change the past, but that doesn't mean I want to dwell in it right now."

 'I'm supposed to be dead right now, I'm not. I don't think Klaus is really dead. Not that I'm telling you that.' Natasha thought to herself. She realized something was wrong as she wasn't dead, but still bonded to Klaus. 

Caroline frowned. "I'll be at Elena's if you need me. I, uh, hope to see you there, but... I won't against you if you aren't. Take today as a mental health day, I guess."

"Take today as a mental health day." Audrey Danvers, Natasha and Madelyn's mother, spoke up. "Spencer is dead. I need much more than a mental health day." Natasha said as she said on the couch, staring at the bowl of ice cream she had in her lap.

"It's been a week, Nat. I can't continue calling you in sick." Audrey sighed, stroking her daughter's hair. "I'm sorry I can't shut my emotions off." Natasha snapped, standing up and dropping the bowl onto the ground, watching it shatter. 

"I know it's hard, but-" Audrey said but was cut off, "Mom! Stop. Just, stop. Okay? We're fifteen. We shouldn't be worrying about a English essay and History pop quiz when our friend died in our midst." Madelyn said.

"Natasha?" Caroline snapped her fingers in front of the red head's face. "It's the middle of the night. Go back to comforting Elena, Caroline. I am not in the mood to think about anything too complex right now."

"Fine, but if you-" Caroline began, "If I need you, you'll be at Elena's. Got it." Natasha said harshly. Caroline plastered on a faint smile before walking out of the room. 

The peace and quiet didn't even last a full ten minutes before there was knocking at the door. Natasha groaned, getting out of bed to open the door. She was surprised to see Elijah Mikaelson in the flesh, but with a new hairstyle.

"Hello again." Elijah said. "Elijah... Hi? Nice new hair. You're caught up with the centurie now." Natasha blinked in shock, but her tone was still rather harsh, and Elijah picked up on it quickly.

"You're not okay... I take it that it has everything to do with Niklaus." Elijah said as he examined her face. "Him and Lydia." Natasha mumbled. "Martin? You descendant? What's the issue with her?" Elijah asked.