Chapter 3: Happy Harbor

An explosion and the sound of a wooden crate breaking was heard at the construction site. Furious, a brutish-looking man glanced up with his gun pointing at a certain ex-"sidekick."

"You again!? I'm starting to get insulted that Green Arrow's not messing with my operation personally!"

With that said, the man started firing at Speedy. As he dodged every shot, he launched an arrow and lodged it into the gun, causing it to blow up. 

As the smoke quickly dispersed, the brute complained about how much he paid for suits in his size. He yelled at his henchmen to do something when Kid Flash ran past, knocking one of them down. Pointing their weapons in his direction, the guns were quickly knocked out of their hands by birdarangs; all while Robin swung over their heads with a cackle.

Aqualad used his weapons to smash the pavement chunks that were thrown at Speedy. Which Speedy followed up with another arrow aimed at the villain. While they fought, Aqualad was explaining to him how fitting the cave is for the new team.  Speedy felt a tap on his shoulder leading him to turn and face Robin as the other signed to him about how it was for covert missions. 

Speeding over, Kid Flash added his input, "And wait'll you see Superboy and Miss Martian!"

The Brute disrupted their conversation by throwing another chunk of pavement at them. 

Everyone dodged. Speedy sent more arrows at him, causing the villain to stumble.

The enemy chuckled and spoke condescendingly, "Tell Arrow you shouldn't send a boy to do a man's job." 

Speedy got ready to fire another arrow as the man told him to "Go ahead," confident that the arrow wouldn't actually hurt. At most, he believed the arrow would only cause him to stagger a little bit.

Without hesitation, the arrow was launched and foam soon covered the villain as he started yelling. It's a shame it was muffled by the foam.

KF zoomed over to him, "High-density polyurethane foam. Nice!" Science really does wonders.

Speedy headed towards the other two.

"So Speedy, you in?" Robin signed.

Speedy turned to Robin and simply said "Pass."

"I'm done letting Arrow and the League tell me what to do. I don't need a babysitter or a clubhouse to hang out with the other kids. Your Junior Justice League is a joke. Something to keep you busy and in your place. I don't want any part of it!"

Speedy said the last part while walking into the shadows of the small opening between the crates. Before he was completely gone though, he stated in a soft tone, "Wouldn't want to be stuck with you two lovebirds anyway."

Aqualad, having been there yet forgotten about, blinked before realizing the other was referring to his two teammates. He's not very accustomed to the ways of land dwellers, but he supposed this wasn't something he had any business in.

Despite the clear bitterness towards associating with the Justice League, it was clear the three were close.

-SKIP-

"Recognized: Robin B-01, Kid Flash B-03"

Kid Flash rushed forward, towards the center of the room, dragging Robin along in as humanly possible a speed he could. Both he and Robin were dressed in their civilian outfits, though glasses covered the latter's face.

Kid Flash asked, "What did he say?" as Robin signed, "Did you ask him?" 

Everyone just stared, confused. While it was made abundantly clear that Robin was mute, that did not mean the others knew anything about sign language.