Chapter 25: Failsafe (Part 2)

Oh my gawd! SORRRYY guys! I said I'd post this part soon but my school has been going through testing! It's still testing but I feel bad for not updating this story so here it is! (Of course, writing is fun too! Don't get me wrong!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The team sat in silence as they replayed Artemis' death over and over in their heads. The only sounds that could be heard were Miss Martian's sobs.

Kid Flash glared angrily at his hands. Although he and Artemis didn't get along that well, they were still teammates. His glare morphed into a look of worry as he looked over at Robin. What if that had been Robin? He finally realized how likely that actually could happen to the other boy. The Justice League was gone. So were all the other adult heroes. Artemis was gone too. Their numbers were shrinking, along with their chances of winning.

KF then noticed, while he was thinking, Robin had looked over at him. Their eyes met and Robin shook his head. Wally still saw the determination in the other's eyes. He wasn't going down, no matter how much fighting he'd have to do.

"There will be time to mourn later." Aqualad began, getting everyone's attention as he stood up. "Now we have a job to do.. Defend the Earth." After a very short pause, he decided to add. "And ensure Artemis' sacrifice was not in vain."

"Back to the cave?" Miss M asked, pulling herself together.

"The Hall of Justice." Aqualad said. His face screamed 'serious' (How could it not? Like HELLO! Alien invasion *gestures around*) "The human race must know that there are still heroes defending them. There is still hope."

His last words echoed in their minds.

"People get hope when they know there are heroes there to save them.. But where do the heroes look for hope?" Kid Flash thought bitterly. He looked back over at Robin's face and allowed himself to crack a small, sad smile. He knew his answer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. military force continued their assault on the three oncoming alien ships. None of there attacks hit. Their faces seemed to lose color but someone fell out of nowhere and beat down one of the ships as the other two were shot down by what seemed like the empty space.

As one of the alien ships crashed near the soldiers, Superboy jumped off and stepped forward as the Bioship materialized. The ship opened, revealing the rest of the Young Justice team.

The military force started to cheer as one of the soldiers spoke out of awe, "See? It is Superman. I told you he wouldn't leave us out here alone." He elbowed another fellow soldier.

"I don't know." The other said, "He looks kind of young. Superboy turned when he heard someone ask "Where's the cape?"

"I'm not Superman." Superboy told them, frowning.

"i don't know who you are, son." The General spoke, "And right now, I don't care. You wear the 'S' and you got the job done."

"I'm not Superman." Superboy muttered again.

"Tell that to the enemy." The General turned to Aqualad and saluted.

"General Wade Eiling, U.S. Air force."

"Aqualad, Justice League." (Gee Aqualad. You're always so professional!) "We'll help you salvage as many of the aliens' cannons as possible." His eyes narrowed as he continued to speak. "Then we start taking back what is ours."