Chapter 1

Present day

22

You sit in your dark, damp apartment building on the outskirts of New York, watching the sun rise. It's one of the few pleasant things the city has to offer. The gorgeous colours dancing against the inky sky as the stars fade from sight. You knew they didn't actually go anywhere, but you decide to ignore that and appreciate the view.

You've been living in the city for 3 years now, you needed a change, you needed to escape the past. You managed to get a job as a lab technician in the Midtown School of Science and Technology. It's perfect. Ever since the incident, you decided to follow your goals of becoming a scientist, just like your lifelong idol, Bruce Banner.

You realise how cold it is and climb out of your bed. You slip on a grey hoodie and some black joggers, then walk the short distance to the kitchen to put the kettle on. A sigh escapes your lips as you think about what happened 13 years ago. Your 11th birthday, it was supposed to be a day of celebration. Not of pain and suffering.

12th November 2008

"y/n!" your mother called, as you rushed downstairs, still in your pyjamas. "Happy Birthday!"

A wide grin crept up your face as you saw the neatly wrapped boxes waiting for you on the kitchen table. You squealed and ran towards them, but a man stepped in front of you, blocking your path.

"What did we tell you Angel, no presents until after breakfast." Your dad pulled you into a tight hug, then set you down on a chair. "Speaking of breakfast, what would you like?"

You thought to yourself for a few seconds before deciding what you wanted.

"PANCAKES!!"

He laughed , then picked up the car keys, "I'd better go and fetch some then." he said as he walked towards the front door.

"Pleeeaaaassseee can I come with you," your mum playfully rolls her eyes before nodding her head.

"We can all go," she sighs. "Please get some clothes on though y/n, you'll catch a cold in them pyjamas."

You never caught a cold, what you got was so much worse, none of you expected it, none of you 'saw it coming'.

When you were back downstairs wearing suitable clothing, you hugged your parents then ran to the garage and jumped in the front seat of the car. Your mum got in the driver seat and your dad sighed begore picking you up and placing you on his lap, stretching the seatbelt over both of you.

"Get her off your knee, its dangerous hun." your mum sighed as she placed a hand on your dad's arm.

"She'll be fine, we're only driving down the road." he replied, placing his hand over hers. She reluctantly agreed and started the car, you left the driveway and turned onto the road. You lived in a very rural area, so there weren't usually fast cars around. Not usually anyway. Unfortunately for you and your parents, today was very unusual.

Straight away you could feel that something was wrong, you could hear an engine in the distance getting gradually closer. Your parents were oblivious and your mum continued to drive round the windy roads. You squeezed your dad tighter and his arms wrapped around your back.

Suddenly, you turned left sharply, and saw a lorry less that two metres away from your car. Your mum slammed on the breaks but it was too late. At the last minute, your dad leant over you, shielding you. You could hear the horrific noises coming from just centimetres in front of you, and you could almost picture the bonnet of your car getting crushed by the 40 tonne lorry. It kept moving forwards, and you heard your dad crying out in pain, you wanted to help, but you couldn't move. You were going to die. You could feel a huge amount of pressure on your chest and you gasped for breath, but your dad's grip only tightened. Before it didn't. Before he let go completely. Before his heart stopped.

You sat in that car for 2 hours, waiting to be rescued. You sat with your dad's corpse on top of you, just waiting. You felt helpless. You couldn't feel your arm and you were still struggling for breath. You couldn't see your mum, because she wasn't there, she had been thrown through the window and straight under the wheels. You were alone. You were afraid.

When you were finally saved, you were immediately taken to the hospital, and after many scans and tests, the doctors came to your bed to tell you the news.

Internal bleeding, that's what they told you. You died 3 times that day, your heart was failing and you could tell. You didn't care. Your dad just gave his life to save you. If only you'd sat in the back seat, he might have been okay....