Chapter 7

14

You want to wrap your arms around his neck, and get him to do the same, to feel him close and dance together. You take a step towards him, and he gives you a look as if to ask for your permission to dance and you nod in return. Just as he reaches towards you, you feel a light tap on your shoulder. You sigh and turn around to see a surprised looking Peter standing behind you. 

"Oh hi Pete, how's the internship?" you ask, obviously hugely upset that you're missing your dance with Bruce. 

"It's uh, great thanks miss y/l/n..... in the politest way possible, why are you here?"

You laugh and quickly glance at Bruce, he looks as disappointed as you. 

"I got invited here by Stark, he 'saw my potential' apparently, I could probably ask you the same thing, I didn't think the apprentices were invited to these things?"

"I heard my name, hi y/n, hi webs." Tony interrupts the two of you and places his hands on yours and Peter's shoulders. 

"Webs?" you ask

"That's me," Peter replies, "your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman."

You're so shocked, the boy you've been getting the bus with and arranging shelves for is Spiderman. It did make some sense, with the fact he's always stressed, he works with the Avengers, and he's even attending a Stark Party. You try to act calm even though you're still confused and amazed at all of this.

"Stay safe kid, its a dangerous place out there." 

Stark laughs and leads Peter away to introduce him to Pepper. You turn back to Bruce, the song has finished and a more upbeat tune is now playing. 

"I'm sorry Bruce," You say sympathetically. 

"Don't be, I'm not very good at dancing anyway. Fancy a drink?"

"I'd love one."

You head back to the bar where you see Nat and Wanda again, and you greet them before sitting down a few seats away. You both get a beer and sit in silence for a few minutes before Bruce starts a conversation. 

"How long have you known Peter?" he inquires 

"A few years, I worked at his school in the science department before Tony came along. It was a pretty boring job but I got to use the lab. It had almost everything you would need for any experiment ever."

"Like the one you did?"

"Yeah..." you had almost forgotten about the crystals that were now somewhere in the tower, or maybe Tony had thrown them away. Oh God. You begin to panic and you start to hyperventilate. Bruce acts immediately and lays you down on the floor. You feel an agonizing pain in your chest. This is it. This is how you're going to die. Bruce is shaking, you can feel him as he holds you and shouts for help.

"Somebody please call an ambulance, she's having a heart attack. Please someone."

You try to speak but you can't. 

This isn't a heart attack. 

You try to point to your bag that contains your emergency medication, and he seems to notice and grabs it from the chair. He pulls out the pills and reads the label, confused. When he realises what's happening to you, his eyes widen and he almost pours the bottle down your throat. 

Your eyes close, you can't breathe. You feel Bruce trying to shake you awake but everything is gone. You're paralysed in darkness.

Suddenly you see a bright light in front of you, this must be the end. You hear concerned voices surrounding you and manage to open your eyes to reveal the party guests gathered around you, with Bucky and Tony on one side of you, and Bruce on the other. Tony sees that your eyes are open and he envelops you in a tight hug, you wince from the pain but you're grateful. Bucky hugs you next, but realising you're in pain, he does it gently. When he lets you go, you turn to Bruce.

"I'm sorry," you whisper.

"Why?" he whispers back, "you literally just died and you're apologising to me?" It makes you smile, and you lean onto him, exhausted. He places one hand round your shoulders and pulls you into his chest. After a few heavenly minutes, the ambulance arrives and you're carried out on a stretcher by paramedics. Fortunately, they let Bruce come with you, and you manage to smile at him once more before falling unconscious. 

When you wake up, you're laid in a bed surrounded by wires and tubes in an otherwise empty white room. A single leather armchair occupies one corner and you light up when you realise there's a napping Bruce sat in it. He must be tired, probably not as tired as you. You feel weak and exhausted. It all hurts. Your head is pounding and your chest feels like it's slowly being crushed. You try to get the glass of water on your bedside table but it pulls on your torso and you whimper in pain, causing Bruce to stir. He sees what you're trying to do, and runs over and gets you to lay back down gently onto the soft mattress before handing you the water. Your throat burns when you try to drink it, but you force yourself to excruciatingly finish all of it.

"Has this ever happened before?"  Bruce looks worried, and you can't lie to him any longer.

"A few times, but never anywhere near as bad as this. My medication was supposed to prevent it, but I guess I've had too much of it in the 10 years I've been taking it."

"Your heart has been doing that since you were 14?" He sounds more upset now, you feel bad, he shouldn't be this worried about you. 

"Bruce it's fine, I've been coping well until now and-"

"THIS IS NOT FINE!" He interrupts, with tears in his eyes. 

"I'm sorry," he apologises quietly before leaving the room.

Almost immediately after he leaves, Bucky and Loki sneak round the corner and into your room. You try to hide the fact that you're almost crying and smile at them.

"Hi guys," you greet them

"He wasn't that bad of a date was he?" Bucky laughs, and you roll your eyes.

"I'll have you know he's quite the gentleman." You smirk and Loki laughs.

"I apologise Midgardian but I disagree with that after what just happened between the two of you, and I think I'm going to go and give him a 'good talking to' as you say down here."

You sigh as Loki leaves the room and turn to Bucky.

"I need to tell you something...."