Chapter 11

4

You wake up to warm breath on your neck and arms wrapped tightly around your waist. Your cheeks flush when you realise it's Bruce, but you don't complain and a smile spreads across your face. About ten minutes later, he starts to stir, so you get out of bed to prevent any more embarrassment, but he drifts back to sleep seconds later. You walk into the bathroom and start brushing your teeth, you can hear Bruce snoring again in your bed. You can't help but look at yourself in the mirror, your reddened eyes staring back at you. Your hair is getting thinner, you can practically see through your pasty skin and your ribs are sticking out. You tear yourself away from the mirror when you hear somebody knocking on the door.

"Come in," you shout, completely forgetting about the man sleeping in your bed.

"What the hell y/n" 

It's Tony. 

Shit. 

"I swear I can explain," you say as you walk back into your room, "Oh"

Bruce is no longer in your bed, you can see him hiding under it, trying not to laugh. You give him a serious look before turning back to Tony.

"I thought you'd gone missing, you didn't tell me you'd be sleeping all day, if I'd known I would-" he looks you up and down, he hasn't really seen you for a few days, and your physical state has worsened dramatically. "Goodness, you look like you're dying," he laughs, you try to smile back, earning you a sympathetic look from Bruce across the room. "Anyway, the reason I came here in the first place was to ask if you'd seen Bruce, I've been looking for him all morning."

"Sorry Tony, I haven't seen him, he probably just went for a walk."

"Okay thanks, " he says, before adding "You should go eat y/n, you look starved."

"Will do," he nods before leaving you alone with Bruce again. He casually crawls out from under the bed, then pauses for a few seconds before walking over and putting his hands on your shoulders.

"I know it's hard, but you should probably tell the team what's going on."

"I want to," you sigh "but I don't want them to act differently around me, I don't want them to treat me like a child."

"I'm sure they won't, and I'll talk to Tony and he can give them a good talking to if they say anything."

"Thank you Bruce," he takes a step closer and moves his hands from your shoulders to around your waist before pulling you into a hug. He pushes his forehead against yours, looking into your eyes.

"I want you to know that you don't have to go through this by yourself, I know you're strong but this is different. You're special y/n, at least to me anyway, never forget that."

"And you're the smartest person ever, you deserve so much more than you get Bruce," he steps back, still smiling at you.

"I do agree with Tony on one thing though, we should go out and get something to eat."

"Fine, where do you want to go."

When you eventually decide where to go to eat, you put on some baggy clothes to try and cover up your state, then you and Bruce head down to the kitchen to tell Tony you're leaving. You pass Nat in the hallway and she winks, you roll your eyes in return, it's going to be so heart breaking to have to tell her and the rest of them that you have four days left, but it has to happen. You meet Tony as he's cooking lunch for himself.

"Look who I found," you say to Tony,

"Oh hi Bruce, where have you been?" 

"I was out.... walking." he keeps looking at you to make sure you're okay and you smile back reassuringly.

"Me and Bruce are just gonna go to that waffle place down the street, we'll see you later."

"Okay have fun, make sure you're back before it's late, remember it's a Friday tonight."

"How could I forget," Bruce replies sarcastically, "come on then y/n, them waffles won't eat themselves." You both chuckle, before leaving the tower and walking onto the busy streets of New York. You really don't liked crowded place, and you can tell Bruce doesn't either. You practically cling onto him as you walk the short distance to the café, and both of are relieved when you get inside to find that it's just as peaceful as it used to be.

"Have you ever been here?" You ask Bruce

"Uh, I don't think so, I wish I'd known about it before though, it looks lovely."

"It is, the maple syrup and strawberry waffles are my favourite." You look over to see Bruce stood with a huge smile on his face, he's looking at you in awe. "What's wrong?" you ask.

"Absolutely nothing, it's just lovely to see you so happy."

You laugh quietly, then turn back to the menu board to hide your flustered face. A young employee approaches both of you, he looks tired, probably from having to cope with some of the people that eat there. He points the two of you to a table before walking back into the kitchen. 

"I have one question for you," you say as you pick up the menu and skim the list of food, "What happens on a Friday night?"

"It's very dull, basically Tony gives all his announcements and tells you how amazing he is,"

"Of course he does." You say, rolling your eyes

"When was the last time you came here?" He asks.

"God, it's been years. I remember my dad bringing me here, he always got the nutella pancakes." You sigh, it's hard talking about your dad, but Bruce makes you feel understood, and he's always so sweet.

"My mum would take me to places like this," he looks down at the table, "But I guess we're both on our own now."

"That's not true though," you rest your hands on his "I've got you and Bucky and Nat and the rest of the team, and I hope you feel like you do too."

"I know for a fact I have you. For the next few days anyway." You both smile sadly at each other and you see them again, he has such sad eyes.

"Do you know what you'd like to order?" The voice startles you and you squeeze Bruce's hands without realising.

"Yes, we'd like two of the maple syrup and strawberry waffles." he winks at you, before handing your menus back to the server. 

It's going to be so hard to say goodbye to him, but you can't let that ruin today.