Chapter 20

Nat and Wanda sit in absolute silence as you tell them about what's happening between you and Bruce, taking in every detail about your first kiss and when he finally asked you to be his girlfriend. When you finish talking they look quite impressed, and after a few moments of quiet, Nat speaks up.

"Does Tony know?" 

"I don't think so," You reply, "Unless Bruce has told him then I don't know how he would have found out."

"And is that all that's happened?" Wanda gives you a cheeky grin so you throw a pillow at her.

"Yes it most definitely is," You turn around and gesture to the bag Bruce brought you, "Anyway, enough of this nonsense, we have a party to get ready for."

You have a shower while Nat and Wanda are in your room, probably getting themselves ready, and when you're finished, you step out of the bathroom to see that they're both gone. A small piece of paper has been left on the bed so you pick it up. It reads:

'Sorry y/n, Wanda's brother arrived so we had to stop getting ready and meet him, we'll be back very soon, can't wait to see that lovely black dress ;)                                                                                            Nat'

You smile and toss the note back down, the bag is on your dressing table where you left it. You pull out the dress, it's a lot shorter than you'd expected and the neckline a lot lower. Either Bruce doesn't know how to shop for a girl, or he did it on purpose, probably the first one, he'd be too embarrassed to buy something like this, knowing what it'd look like when you were wearing it. Either way, you put the dress on and almost gasp when you see yourself in the mirror. It looks sophisticated but sexy and you love it. It stops a few inches above your knees and shows a lot of skin. As you're stood admiring your new outfit, you don't notice the door open to the left of you. 

"Who is your sexy friend?" The voice sounds Slovakian, maybe Sokovian. You turn around to see a boy with a similar face to Wanda, his messy white hair covering one of his baby blue eyes.

"Quiet Pietro," Wanda rolls her eyes at her flirtatious brother, "This is y/n, and for your information she isn't interested." 

You laugh and nod in Pietro's direction to say hello.

"The dress looks amazing by the way," Nat looks you up and down, "He really chose something for himself didn't he."

"Very funny Nat," You turn back to the mirror, "And I don't think he knew it would look like this."

"Are you talking about Mr Stark?" Pietro asks unknowingly, "I heard he's very popular with the ladies."

"Y/n is into someone else," Wanda's voice becomes more sarcastic, "Even if Tony did save her life." Pietro looks so confused, but Wanda grins.

"Wanda I swear to God I will throw another pillow at you." You shake your head and she laughs. 

Over the next hour or two, Wanda and Nat get ready while you talk to Pietro. He isn't going to the party tonight, he needs time to settle into the tower and probably have an early night, it's a long journey from Sokovia and it's Christmas Day tomorrow. You have to take a break from your chat when Nat insists on doing your hair, she styles it into loose curls and it rests on one shoulder. Pietro gives you a few more flirtatious compliments which you brush off, Wanda occasionally telling him off in what must be Sokovian. To finish off your outfit, you put the locket on that the team got for you, it's silver colour contrasting the jet black dress you're wearing, it looks nice and it reminds you of your new friends.

You start to hear people gathering downstairs, and around half an hour after you were supposed to be at the party, you go with Nat and Wanda, and start to make your way downstairs, dropping Pietro off on Wanda's floor before  going further down, and walking out the lift to see the floor swarming with guests and reporters and celebrities from every industry. You can't see Bruce among the crowd, but you spot Tony so you say goodbye to Nat and Wanda and push your way through the increasing number of guests to get to him. You see that he's talking to someone important looking so you stand to the side and wait for them to finish. When Tony sees you stood there, he gently pulls you towards him and introduces you to the man in front of you. 

"And this young lady is y/n," You can smell the alcohol on his breath, it doesn't take long for Tony to get drunk, "She's as smart as our Dr Banner,"

"Really?" The man sounds surprised, probably because you're quite a bit younger than Bruce, but that doesn't matter, does it?

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr...?"

"Mr Borg, Dylan Borg, reporter for The Chronicle."

"Well it's been nice to meet you Mr Borg," You turn to Tony, "Have you seen Bruce by any chance?"

"Yeah, he's talking to Thor by the bar I think."

"Thanks Tony," You nod a goodbye to the two men, "Don't get too drunk," You hear him laugh behind you as you turn towards the bar. Sure enough, Bruce and Thor are sat on stools, Thor drinking some sort of Asgardian beer out of a large tankard. He sees you approaching and calls out.

"Lady y/n, glad you could join us," You see him looking you up and down so you turn to Bruce, you're not uncomfortable around Thor, you just don't want him getting any false hopes. Bruce gestures to the seat next to him, you happily take it and the men continue their conversation.

"I never thought I'd see you again," Thor says,

"It's crazy how things turn out, I'm glad it ended up the way it did though." His eyes turn to you, "I've met some pretty incredible people since I've come back," 

You smile, but Thor sits looking confused. You and Bruce decided to keep your relationship a secret for a while, you don't think Tony would be too happy about it, but Bruce is going to tell him when the time seems right. That's fine with you, you're happy to be his girlfriend, and at least Wanda and Nat know. 

"I heard that lady y/n was interested in your science," You look up to see Bruce and Thor looking at you,

"Yes I am," Bruce looks proud of you which makes you feel more confident, "I'm working with Bruce at the moment,"

"She's probably smarter than me," He places his hand on top of yours and grins. You feel someone's hand on your shoulder so you sigh and turn around.

"I see you've met my brother," Loki is wearing a black suit with a black shirt and tie, "And I must say you look absolutely ravishing tonight." He smirks and you shake your head.

"Hello brother, are you and lady y/n courting?"

"Absolutely not," You answer, "And he knows that."

"Ah," Thor looks intrigued, "Is there anyone?"

"Well-"

"Yes," Bruce interrupts, "She has a significant other, he just... couldn't make it tonight."

You blush at how defensive he is without getting too angry at his friend.

"If he isn't here, would you care for a dance?" Thor asks, his piercing blue eyes making awkward eye contact with yours.

"Sorry Thor, I was going to dance with Bruce now," Bruce takes the hint to stand up to leave, "Maybe later though?" Thor nods and you walk away with Bruce, maybe you could have your first proper dance with him. It feels weird, turning down a God, but for a dance with Bruce, you'd turn anyone down.