Chapter 21

You dance with Bruce for you don't know how long, it could be half an hour, it could be 3 hours, it all seems like a blur. All you know is that it's absolutely magical, his eyes twinkle under the lights and his musky scent only makes you more attracted to him. When the music stops for Tony to make some grand speech, you rest your head on Bruce's shoulder and he whispers into your ear.

"You look lovely by the way," 

You look up at him and his beautiful smile. "I assure you, you look way better," You whisper back, clasping his hand.

"I don't think anyone could look as good as you do right now," This makes you blush, so you turn back to Tony, and it takes a few seconds to realise that practically everyone in the room is staring at you. Tony looks slightly disappointed, and gestures for you to say something. When you give him a confused glance, he rolls his eyes and talks back into the microphone.

"It seems like she's a bit distracted tonight," He looks directly at you, "I was just telling our guests how you're going to start working properly with Bruce over the next few weeks,"

"I am yes," You look at Bruce and grin, "I hope to get to know him a bit better as well,"

"Thank you for that," He turns back to addressing the audience, "Now you may be wondering about our new project in the centre of New York...." 

You stop listening when Bruce pulls you over to the bar.

"So," He raises his eyebrow playfully, "My name is Bruce, and I work for the Avengers, I'm 45, and-"

"Wait a second," You interrupt, "First of all, I was joking about getting to know you, and second, you're 45?!"

"I know, I look 21, don't worry I get it all the time," He smirks.

"Very funny," You roll your eyes.

"How old are you?" He looks a bit uncomfortable discussing this with you, maybe he thinks you'll treat him differently if he's a lot older, it won't make a difference to you though.

"24..." You mutter, there's quite a big age difference, but you still like him exactly the same and no number's going to change that.

"Wow I could basically be your dad," He laughs sadly,

"Or daddy..." You say under your breath, hopefully not for Bruce to hear,

"Sorry what?" He's either disappointed about what you said or he didn't hear, hopefully the latter.

"It doesn't matter, fancy a drink?" You change the subject

"I'd love one, actually I have a better idea..." He turns to the bartender and discusses something with him quietly, eventually the bartender moves away and Bruce takes his place behind the bar. "And what would a fine lady like you want to drink?"

"Just a lemonade for me old man," You laugh, it warms your heart to see him so happy.

"Coming right up," He crouches down out of sight, and returns with a bottle of lemonade before pouring it into two glasses, one for him you presume. "Here you are my love." 

"Thank you," You smile sweetly at him and he comes and sits back down next to you.

"I just thought I'd let you know that you are single-handedly the most amazing person I have met and will meet in my life," He admits, holding your hands.

"And I want you to know that you're the most incredible man that has ever walked into my life, and I hope you're not going to walk out of it anytime soon,"

"I have no reason to," He kisses your forehead softly, and you hear a startled gasp behind you, you turn to see Thor stood about a metre away.

"Oh my goodness, y/n is cheating on her man," He announces, gaining the attention of the majority of the room. You sigh and bury your face in Bruce's chest.

"Thor be quiet," Bruce says whilst holding you gently, "This isn't what it looks like," That attracts more attention from people like Tony and the reporter he was talking to earlier. 

"Is everything okay?" Tony asks,

"Absolutely not," Thor shouts, "Some of your team are very disloyal people," You look up to see him glaring at you.

"Y/n," Bruce whispers, "We should go," 

"I agree," You whisper back, Bruce walks away, but before you can follow him out of the room, Thor grabs your wrist, he doesn't mean to hurt you, but he has strong arms and you only have skinny wrists. "Ow Thor please get off that hurts,"

"I am sorry y/n," He looks ashamed of himself, or it might be you, either way, you have to get away from the party, everyone's still staring. You turn away again, this time Thor doesn't grab you, instead he calls after you, but you ignore it. You walk out onto an empty corridor, wait... empty? Where's Bruce? You call out for him a few times but he's practically just disappeared, it's really odd and it feels wrong.

"Are you okay," You jump as you hear the voice behind you, it's not Bruce, but the voice sounds familiar, "I saw what happened back there." You turn around, it's the guy Tony was talking to, his name was something like Dave or Danny- "Dylan Borg," He interrupts your thoughts and holds his hand out for you to shake, "I believe we met earlier,"

"I think we did yes," You politely answer, shaking his hand, "You were talking to Mr Stark if I remember correctly,"

"That's me," He laughs, "Honestly, that Thor guy is such a jerk, where's the god of minding your own business when you need him?" This genuinely makes you laugh, it's nice to know that someone is on your side, even if he doesn't know what's going on.

"Are you going back to the party?" You ask, trying to get him to go away politely so you can find Bruce.

"No," He says blankly.

"Leaving already?" You're slightly confused.

"Yes," He has a sinister sort of glint in his eye, "and you're coming with me."

"I'm sorry what?" You laugh uncomfortably, it's probably just a drunk joke.

"I said you're coming with me,"

"Listen Mr Borg," You place your hand on his arm, "I'm going to call a taxi for you, and you're going to-"

He pushes your hand off his arm, and twists it, sending a sharp pain all the way up your arm. You pull away and try to hit him, but he grabs your shoulder, completely ripping one of the straps off your dress and letting it fall to the floor.

"Get off me!" You shout, but the music is too loud for anyone to hear.

"Be quiet and I might not kill you," He says, you see the shine of a knife concealed in his suit. You freeze, unsure of what to do, until you feel a pinch in your thigh, and look down to see a needle, slowly filling your blood stream with what you think is a sedative. You can't do anything except look up at Dylan and cry, as you feel yourself collapse onto the floor until you close your eyes and fall into a deep sleep.

Bruce's POV

I'm in my room, finishing the last preparations for the date night I planned for y/n when I hear someone shouting, it sounds a lot like y/n. I grab the movie and the singular rose from my desk, and take them with me as I run towards the lift. The journey down seems like forever, and I curse at myself mentally for not taking the stairs. When I reach the right floor I run out. 

"Y/n?" There's nobody there. All I can hear is the music from the party, I look around but the corridor's empty. She's probably just gone back to the party. Oh well, the date can wait for tomorrow night. I pick up the piece of black fabric I spotted on the floor before I leave, it looks a lot like the material y/n's dress is made of. Wait. I drop the dirty dancing DVD and the rose and I run into the party. With her shouting and the ripped dress I think something's happened to her. 

I look out onto the party and unsurprisingly she isn't there. I need to tell someone.

"Tony," I say when I find him, "Tony she's gone,"

"Calm down Bruce, who's gone," I take a deep breath.

"Y/n, she's gone... and I think I was in love with her."