Chapter 28

"Come on lovebirds, your food's gonna get cold," Clint shouts back at the two of you, and you can see Bruce clearly blushing, it's not surprising, you're doing exactly the same.

"I guess we shouldn't keep them waiting," Bruce laughs, offering his hand out to you. You take it gratefully, and walk with him to the rest of the group at the dinner table. When you get to them, your face lights up as you see Peter and his Aunt May sat near one end of the table.

"Hi Pete," You greet him with a warm smile on your face.

"Oh hi Miss y/l/n." He looks you up and down, unsure what to say about your current beaten state.

"Please, call me y/n," You laugh, and he smiles sadly, "I'm fine Pete, I just got into a bit of trouble, but everything's good now, I promise."

He wraps his arms around your neck and hugs you, then you laugh as you try to peel him off you, which you need Tony to help you with.

"Come on  kid, let the poor thing sit down." He says. Peter sighs and lets go of you before he sits next to his Aunt again. You hobble over to where Bruce is sat, and take a seat in between him and Loki. On the table in front of you is a feast big enough to feed a small town.

"Jesus Tony, how hungry are you?" You grin and pour yourself and Bruce glasses of water.

"Me? Not particularly. Thor? Starving apparently."

You glance around Loki's shoulder to see Thor, his plate full of various foods already. Loki sees it too and rolls his eyes.

"Really brother?" He scolds.

"A god has to eat." Thor replies and starts eating a pile of potatoes.

"And so do the rest of us," Loki shakes his head, but leaves it at that and begins to serve himself a plate of food.

"Turkey?" Bruce asks you.

"I'm sorry?" You look at him confused, then see he's offering you something to eat. "Oh, yes please, sorry about that."

"It's completely okay," He smiles sweetly and fills your plate with other nostalgic foods from the table.

"Get yourself something," You tell him, 

"Are you sure that's all you want?" He looks concerned.

"Yes Bruce, I'm not too hungry," 

"If you're sure," He smiles, and you nod. He moves a bit closer to you and whispers into your ear, "I love you so much y/n."

You whisper back, "I love you more,"

Bruce moves back slightly, tilts his head, then whispers again, "I love you most."

"Well then," You fake sigh, "I guess you won,"

"You're too sweet," He grins and kisses you gently before turning back to his plate.

"I like to whisper too," You hear Loki in your ear, then Steve shouts from across the table,                  "I understood that reference!"

"Jesus Loki don't scare me like that," You sigh, "And since when have you watched Elf?"

"The soldier made me watch it last week,"

"Bucky?" 

"Yes," Loki grins, proud of himself, then nods his head towards Bruce, who you turn around to see staring out of the window at the city.

"You okay Bruce?" You say, nudging him softly.

"What?" He turns to you, dazed, "Oh, yeah, I think I zoned out for a minute there sorry."

"Are you sure there's nothing bothering you?" You hold his hand and look into his eyes.

"I'm fine y/n, no need to worry about me."

You nod, unsure whether to push him further, he seems to be hiding something. You shake your head slightly and turn to your dinner, it looks delicious, but you don't seem to have a big appetite. Before you can eat a forkful, Tony stands up, tapping his glass with a fork to get everybody's attention.

"I shan't keep you too long, I just wanted to congratulate you all for the safe return of y/n. That wicked man is behind bars now, and if he comes near any of us again, I have permission to send him to another planet."

Tony sits himself down, and everyone begins to eat.

The remainder of the dinner is quiet, and Bruce leaves early to 'check something in the lab'. You're unsure what's happening, but before he leaves the room, he whispers something to Tony who glances in your direction, grinning. It'd better be something good. 

A few minutes later once you've finished eating, Clint, Nat and yourself go into the living room. Bruce still hasn't returned and you're getting a bit tense.

"Hey Tony," Clint shouts in the direction of the kitchen, "When can we open presents?"

"We'll be in there in a sec." He shouts back.

"What did I miss?" Someone grabs your shoulder from behind and you let out a quiet scream. You jolt your head around and see who it is.

"I am so sorry Bruce, I didn't know it was you."

"That's okay, all you did was burst my eardrums nothing too bad," He smiles, and sits down beside you.

"What have you been doing?" You ask, twirling his hair in your fingers,

"Not much, just checking some data in the lab and sending it off,"

"What kind of data?" You push, and he shakes his head grinning,

"Wouldn't you like to know,"

Before you can ask him anything else, Tony struts in, holding a bag full of what must be his presents for the group.

"Let's go!" He cheers, and the rest of the group gathers in the room, taking seats wherever they fit. "I will be going first, obviously." He chuckles, and hands out a wrapped gift to all of you, not leaving out Clint's family or Peter's Aunt May.

You watch as everyone begins to tear off the paper, so you do the same. It's not like you've never celebrated Christmas, because you have, it just feels weird having so many people to celebrate it with. You see Bruce's smile widen as he sees Tony's gift for him, a mug with the words:              'The Second Best Science Bro'. 

"Ouch," You whisper in his ear, which makes him laugh. You turn back to your present. Surprisingly, you open it to see a fancy high tech watch with your name engraved into its face. 

"It can get you anywhere in the tower," Tony says to you from across the room, "Even Bruce's room," He winks.

"Very funny Tony," You grin, "But thank you," 

Bruce moves closer to you, and you rest your head on his shoulder, he sighs, and says quietly, "My door is always unlocked for you," He pauses, "I don't mean like- I mean if you need to talk or-" He's interrupted by your laughter.

"It's okay Bruce," You say when you've calmed down, "I understood what you meant,"

"Are we going to get an explanation as to what just happened?" Clint says, confused.

"No," Steve sighs, "I don't think we will."