Chapter 5

19

You meet Bucky in the kitchen, but before you can ask him about Steve, Loki walks in proudly with Bruce following unwillingly behind. Loki leans over and whispers something in Bucky's ear, making his eyes light up, and causing him to let out a small chuckle. You and Bruce look at each other in confusion, making Loki join in the laughter. As you open your mouth to question them, Bucky speaks up.

"We should be going now y/n, we have a lot to do." you sigh, but nod in agreement.

"We should probably go too Bruce." Loki says. You can't help but be curious as to where they were going but when you ask, Loki puts a finger up to his lips and smirks. No matter how nice they can be, they will always annoy you. You and Bucky walk down to the garage first and get on his motorbike. It makes you feel slightly uncomfortable considering how close you are to him, but after what you found out earlier about Steve, you feel safe.

When you arrive at the shopping centre, it looks huge, you never got to visit one of these when you were younger, so this is all new. You tell Bucky to lead the way, and without hesitation, he takes you to the most expensive looking shop. Your jaw drops when you see the prices but he tells you he brought Stark's card, which makes you feel more at ease. You spend ages browsing and trying on all kinds of dresses and suits until you find the perfect one. It's a gorgeous royal purple floor length dress with short sleeves and it fits around your body perfectly. You also find a pair of heels to match, but nothing too high that you couldn't dance in them. Bucky wastes no time paying for it all and brings it back in a bag before you've even finished getting dressed again. You decide to go for some lunch while you're there, and when you're both sat down outside a sandwich shop, Bucky grins and gestures for you to turn around. Bruce and Loki are walking out of a shop only a few metres away from you. 

"Oh God," you groan, "can we just pretend to not be here?" Fortunately for you, they don't notice the two of you, and walk off in the other direction. When you're sure they're gone you turn back around to Bucky and start eating your food. A few minutes later, you look up at Bucky, who has already finished his sandwich and decide to start a conversation.

"So, you and Steve huh?" he looks a bit confused at first, but then realises what you're asking.

"Yeah, it's nothing too official but it's been going on a while." He looks a bit sad so you try to cheer him up.

"Are you gonna take him to the dance? Just imagine Tony's face when you two come as a date." This brings out a grin on his face which makes you smile back.

"I think I will, how about you and Bruce." He winks and you sigh in return. 

"I want to be his date but I don't think he wants to be mine, he seems to only want to be around me when he has to, like when Tony made him show me my room or when he had to walk me to breakfast." Bucky gives you an understanding nod, but doesn't take long to reply.

"Have faith in him y/n, he doesn't always show what he feels."

"What do you mean by that?" He doesn't answer, "Bucky what do you mean?" He still remains silent. "BUCKY I SWEAR-"

"Calm down, you'll find out soon enough." He laughs. Still not satisfied, you give him a cold stare and he continues to laugh in response.

After finishing your food, you and Bucky decide that he needs an outfit, so you go to another expensive shop and get him and Steve matching suits, a black one for Buck and a blue one for Steve. After that you exit the shop, then the shopping centre. Bucky reaches the motorbike first, and before you get on, he hands you a small piece of paper that had been attached to one of the mirrors. 

It reads: 

Meet me in the lab                                                                                                                                                                BB

You smile to yourself and Bucky notices because he hands you your helmet and smirks. 

"What does Brucey boy want now?" You roll your eyes at him, but can't help but laugh. 

"Let's go, I have plans." You take the helmet and take your seat on the bike.

When you get back to the tower, you quickly get off the bike to try to escape Bucky's questioning gaze. You manage to get to the lift without bumping into anyone, and you think you're going to make it before the doors open and Tony stands there. You sigh, but get in anyway, he's probably going to a different floor. You go to press the floor with the lab on, before you realise it's already been pressed. By Tony. You can't help but feel disappointed, but maybe Bruce didn't just want to see you, maybe it was some science meeting. Oh well. When the lift stops, you and Tony step out almost at the same time, and walk together in silence towards the lab. You walk in first and Bruce's face lights up, but falls suddenly when Tony follows you.

"I didn't know we had a meeting today Tony." He's too nice to tell him to go away, he's too nice to be mean to anyone. Tony on the other hand, could be a bit different. 

"I didn't want to talk to you Bruce, I was just gonna show y/n how the lab works."

"Oh. I can show her if you have some meeting or anything like that."

"Thanks big guy, that would be more than kind." With that he walks off, leaving you and Bruce standing in an awkward silence. Whatever he wants to say to you, the moment has passed. 

"Where do you want to start?" He asks

Over the next few days, you become a lot closer, to the point where you could be classed as friends, maybe even best friends. Neither of you speak about the party until the night before, when Bruce brings it up in conversation.

15

"So, the party's tomorrow, I completely understand if you don't want to-" You cut him off by pulling him into a tight hug.

"Why wouldn't I want to go with you Bruce?" you speak into his shoulder, "And I've already bought the dress so it'd be silly if I couldn't wear it."

You both laugh and leave the lab, you're buzzing with excitement.