Chapter 8

14

You tell him everything. The fact you've been blaming yourself for your father's death ever since it happened. The fact that your heart is slowly deteriorating. The fact that you're dying. Bucky sits and listens. You know he's been through a lot, so he hopefully understands what you're going through. When you finish speaking, he takes your hand and looks up at you.

"I am so sorry y/n, and I know that what happened between you and Bruce is difficult, but he'll come and apologise, and I know for certain that he's gonna do whatever he can to save your life. You just have to talk to him."

You slowly nod in agreement, warm tears roll down your cheek and Bucky hands you a tissue to wipe them away. You both hear a knock on your door and Bucky stands up to see who it is. He opens the door to an upset looking Bruce. Loki must've shouted at him, and it makes you feel bad. No. He shouldn't have got angry at you in the first place. This isn't your fault.

Bucky nods at you before leaving and closing the door behind him. Bruce uneasily takes a few slow steps towards you.

"I'm truly sorry, I know I got angry and I know I walked off but I didn't want to hurt you. You probably know what happens when I'm angry, and I didn't want it to. I shouldn't have got angry at you y/n, please forgive me."

You sigh and smile weakly.

"I forgive you Bruce, and I'm ready to tell you my story."

It takes you over an hour to tell him everything. You tell him things you didn't tell Bucky, like how you can't eat pancakes anymore and you always sit in the back seat of a car. You also tell him about the experiment you attempted, but you lie about how much time you have left, 'not enough' according to him. It hurts you to have to tell him all this, but you can tell he's hurting too. After you finish talking with each other, he looks numb, almost in pain. You both sit there crying together, until Bruce stands up and almost runs towards the door. Before he leaves, he wipes his face of tears, turns around and locks eyes with you.

"I'll be back," he starts to push the door open, but turns back around "thank you, for trusting me, I think you're an amazing person y/n." He walks out the door, bumping into Loki who was listening to your story from outside. Bruce sends him a dirty look before walking off down the corridor. Loki shuffles into the room and drags the armchair to the side of your bed before sitting down and chuckling slightly.

"What's so funny." you question

"You can't see how much he really likes you y/n" you can feel your face heating up and you try to hide it from Loki. "And from what I can see, you really like him too.."

"I don't know what you're talking about," you look up at Loki who has a smug look on his face, "Oh stop it" he laughs which makes you blush even more.

"Am I missing something here?" Bucky asks from the doorway, making you jump.

"Just y/n and her massive crush on Bruce." Loki replies

"Both of you need to shut up. Like right now"

You spend the next week or so in the hospital bed, and you slowly feel your body healing itself. You spend most days with Loki and Bucky, with some avengers coming to check up on you every once in a while. Sometimes even Tony comes to see how you're feeling. Surprisingly, Bruce only visits you a few times, and when he does he looks exhausted, like he isn't sleeping. It upsets you to have to see him like this. You've tried to find out what's the matter with him, but every time you ask Bucky and Loki, they change the subject.

6

Finally the day arrives when you can leave your hospital bed. At least that's one good thing.

You walk unsteadily towards the lift with the help of Bucky. You both burst out laughing when you trip over him and almost fall onto the floor. You reach your floor and he leads you into your room.

"You should probably rest." He's worried but you're way too bored to stay in bed any longer. Besides, you want to make the most of everything you can before it's too late....

"Yeah sure, you don't have to stay Bucky, go and talk to Steve or something." He laughs before leaving your room and getting in the lift. You decide to see if you can find Bruce, he hasn't visited you for 2 days and you're getting worried about him. You knock on his door, and when nobody answers you head towards the lab.

He's sat on a hard plastic chair fast asleep. His hair is messy and he has dark bags under his eyes. You knock on the glass door and he jolts awake, noticing that it's you, he jumps out of the chair and moves to the countertop where he's obviously trying to hide something from you. You enter the lab whilst giving him a suspicious look. He looks increasingly more nervous as you walk nearer to him.

"What are you hiding from me?" you ask, not wanting him to have a breakdown.

"Uh, nothing, I have no clue what you're talking about, I have nothing to hide and I am perfectly innocent." You raise and eyebrow at him and he sighs.

"Ok fine I am hiding something but I can't show you what it is yet because it isn't finished. Happy?"

"Not yet," you reply, "When will it be done?"

"A few days maximum." You hope this is true, you want to sped as much time with him as possible. You can't help but yawn, you don't want to admit it but Bucky was right, you should probably rest. You see Bruce yawning too and it makes you smile.

"I'm going to head to bed Bruce, you should probably get some sleep too."

"You're right again y/n, do you need any help or are you okay now?"

"I'm okay," you lie and he believes you, but as you turn around to leave, you feel a sharp pain in your chest and it causes you to keel over in pain.

"You don't look okay to me," Bruce mutters, as he helps you stand up and supports you as you walk to bed.

He sets you down on your bed and tucks you in. He's so sweet, it's one of your favourite things about him. He once again makes sure you're okay before turning around to leave. He's almost at the door before you somehow build up the courage to stop him.

"Stay- please" he turns to face you, a look of confusion on his face, what if you've made a mistake. "I mean you don't have to I was just wondering if you were a bit lonely, it doesn't matter-"

"It's okay y/n, I'll stay" you light up as he walks back towards you. He walks round to the other side of the bed and gets in, facing away from you.

"Goodnight," you mutter.

"Sleep well" he replies.