Chapter 9

Yibo was shocked to discover that his computer lab had been destroyed, with all of the CPUs broken open and the monitors shattered. The disc and hard drive had been removed. It was obvious that someone had broken into their lab; the entire computer science department was stunned; they couldn't believe that someone had gotten past all security measures and had the audacity to break into their lab. Yibo was inspecting all of the broken systems to see if the intruder had left any clues. Zhan, who had been quietly following Yibo, was also taken aback. Their university was supposed to be safe and secure, but this was beyond anyone's imagination.

Yibo's heart sank when he discovered that his computer, which he used on a regular basis, was also damaged. Yibo was already stressed, and he was going through his broken system, still unable to believe what had happened. Zhan's heart sank when he saw Yibo being sad. "I can help you guys catch the intruder," Zhan said, and Yibo's eyes twinkled with delight. He stood up and took Zhan's hand in his, still unsure whether what he had heard was true or not. "You can?" Yibo inquired, surprised. Zhan nodded, saying, "After all, this is what I study." Yibo nodded, "That's great, thank you," and hugged him, but Zhan pushed him back. Yibo didn't mind; he was just relieved that someone could help them.

Zhan stood up and walked to the center of the room, asking, "Is there any damaged computer that hasn't been touched by your guys?" Everyone began checking. Just as Zhan was looking around, a girl raised her hand and said, "Here!" pointing to the computer in the corner of the room. Yibo followed Zhan as he approached her. "Are you certain it's untouched?" Zhan inquired once more, and while she nodded "Yes," he hummed and bent down to inspect it, while Yibo looked at him with interest.

" But why untouched?" Yibo inquired, and Zhan rummaged through his bag, taking a pair of white operating gloves, which he began wearing on both of his hands. "Untampered evidence is required because they must contain the culprit's fingerprints; if you guys touched it, either the previous fingerprints would have been erased or left on one another," Zhan explained as Yibo nodded curiously. "I see~" Zhan took out a small piece of evidence and carefully placed it inside the clear plastic bag he was carrying.

Zhan stood up after getting what he needed and looked at Yibo. Just as he was about to say something, one of Yibo's classmates ran up to him, "YIBO!" He called his name while panting for air, and Yibo turned around to face his classmate, "What is it?" Yibo inquired, his voice concerned. The man finally caught his breath and responded, "We have found some security footage, while most of it has been blurred out by someone, I believe some part of it can be restored," Yibo hummed, "I can look over it, but isn't our university inspecting it?" Yibo was perplexed as to why the college official had yet to act.

"Didn't you hear? The investigation team that came to our university and our university staff had a huge fight, which resulted in them leaving us all stranded over this," the guy said, Yibo sighed as the situation seemed fishy to him. Either way, he decided to shrug it off. "Sure, let us inspect it," Yibo said as he was about to leave, he remembered Zhan, he looked at him while Zhan smiled "You can go, I'll be in my lab," he said while Yibo smiled back "Smile often, you look good," Yibo said as he ran away. Zhan was taken aback by the unexpected compliment; he felt the warmth rise up to his cheeks and realized he was blushing.

Three hours later ...