Chapter 15: Country Roads, Take Him Home

A/N: Since no opinions were given on the options, I came up with a different idea. Thankfully, this book is nearly done, so I can start working on it. It will appeal to the emos, I guarantee. It's like a Hogwarts ripoff, but cooler. 

The next morning, you woke up feeling much better. I wouldn't say refreshed, but you weren't cold or tired and you could breathe normally. The house was quiet when you woke up, and that was when it really set. 

You don't know why it took seven dead bodies for you to realize that everyone was turning on each other. Why was everyone turning on each other? All you could really grasp was that there was, counting you, six people left. A majority of the house was dead. 

Trying to shove down the disturbing thought, you searched the house for everyone. No one was in their bedrooms, kitchen, basement, bathroom, no where. However, you did notice that the front door was ajar. 

Stepping outside, you saw everyone gathered around another grave. Sighing, you went over to the sad excuse of a funeral service and followed suit. 

Jeff didn't look too bad with neat hair.  Toss aside the fact that he was a serial killer with a bit of a scarred face, and he might have been pretty. But, of course,  you would never admit that. 

"So, you were going to have a funeral without me?" You spoke up finally. 

"We figured you'd want to sleep." Elliott replied. 

"You figured wrong." 

No one's eyes moved from Jeff's body. He was still in the same clothes as yesterday, you noticed. And he had something sticking out of his pocket. It was small and thin, it looked like a piece of paper. 

"Well, I guess we should bury-" Pennywise began, but you waved a hand to shut him up. 

"No, not yet." You jumped down into the grave and picked up the paper from his pocket. 

"What are you doing?" Pennywise cried out, honestly quite shocked that you had jumped into an occupied grave. 

You didn't reply. You were busy looking at the paper. It was a picture of Jeff, Liu and two other people in front of a house. It looked like a nice house, and I had a 'SOLD' sign in the background. They all had their arms around each other, and everyone was smiling. You flipped the paper over to see writing. 

"Jeff, Liu, Peter, and Margaret. A happy family in a new home!"

This was Jeff's family. 

You put the picture back in Jeff's pocket and held up your hand, waiting for someone to pull you out. Michael grabbed your hand and pulled you out of the grave like you weighed nothing. You watched as Pennywise picked up the shovel and began to shovel the dirt into the grave, but you weren't there. You couldn't stop thinking about that picture. 

_______________

You had been quiet since the funeral. You couldn't get that picture out of your head, of Jeff and his family. He had a life. Friends. A school. It was weird to think that, at some point, Jeff was a normal kid. He probably had dinosaur phase, maybe even a car phase. He looked like could look at a Mustang for hours and not get bored. 

"You've been too quiet today. What's bugging you?" 

"I can't stop thinking about that picture. The one in Jeff's pocket." 

"Why not?" 

"I don't know. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that he was normal at some point. He had a family." 

"Weren't you aware of that?" 

"Yeah, but it's weird seeing them. Dead people, I mean."