56. Too Soon

Layla

The cool ocean breeze makes me shudder in his arms and he takes my hand to bring me inside the living room. We sit next to each other on the big couch and he dries my face with his thumbs.

"Do you think it is another boy?" He wonders with a sparkle in his eyes. "What if it is a girl? Oh, I would lose my head."

I sniffle and smile at him. "You're a great dad, you know?"

He wrinkles his nose. "Well, I'm struggling to feel like that right now."

"I know and that's why I want to remind you," I take his hand into mine. "I don't want you to leave here feeling like you're a bad person, father or husband, because you're not and you're proving it right now. You care about us and you care about being better and that's what counts."

He brings my hand up to kiss it. "Now that you mentioned leaving, let's leave tomorrow. Have you seen your doctor yet?"

I shake my head. "No, she doesn't even know, only doctor Qassim."

"See? You need to see her, we have to go to the therapist and we miss Saeed."

"Yeah," I agree. "We should leave tomorrow."

I stand up to go to my room and get myself ready for bed but first, he hugs me one more time to assure me that everything will be okay. I leave my door ajar and as I am pushing the covers to get in bed, he knocks on the door and pops his head inside.

"Hi," he says.

"Hey," I reply.

"I was just wondering," he clears his throat. "What's going to happen tomorrow? I mean no pressure, but are you and Saeed still staying with Lati?"

I spin around and sit on the edge of the bed because I hadn't thought about that. I miss my home and we have made so much progress these last couple of days.

"I suppose we could go back home," I tell him.

He smiles wide. "Great! Goodnight then."

He leaves and I get under the covers. Staring into the ceiling I realise how silly all of this seems now. So, I get up again and leave my room only to meet him halfway in the living room. Again we both try to talk at the same time and it makes us laugh.

"Can we just sleep together again?" He finally says.

I nod my head with a smile.

"My room or yours?" He asks.

I hurry and walk past him to get into his room and into his bed. He follows me and we lay face to face on our sides.

"Layla," he whispers.

"Yeah?"

"You don't have to stay just because you're pregnant."

"Don't worry, I won't," I close my eyes and tuck my hands under my cheek.

"Layla," he whispers again after a moment of silence.

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too, Hamdan."

---

7 months later

Reem and the driver wait for me in the car while I make a quick stop at NAS. I hurry up to the stairs but stop before taking the first step to look down at my heels and big belly. I think the elevator will be the best choice, so I turn around and see Saeed Hilal walking in my direction.