22. Cliché

Layla

I know it's a cliché but I'm really hoping for a fresh start with this new year, I even wrote a list of resolutions which I had never done before. But since I kind of fell off track for the last few months of last year, I'm thinking that this might help me stay focused on what's important and what I want, especially in my personal life. My work didn't really suffer much, it never does because I make it a priority and I always stay on top of it.

I feel so much more at ease now that we're back to work because it gives me something to do, we're starting to see the first results of our project, the response was overwhelming and we have been able to find so many amazing and talented women with incredible points of view and stories. As I keep clearing up and replying to the unread emails in my inbox I come across an interesting one as I see Reem walking into my office out of the corner of my eye.

"Here is the briefing for the upcoming board meeting." She tells me while placing a folder on my desk. "You might want to look at it one last time before I make copies for everyone."

"Thank you, Reem. Uh, I wanted to ask you something."

"Sure." She takes a seat before me.

"Do you know what this Gov Games thing is?" I wonder while pointing at my laptop.

Her eyes open up. "Oh, yes! It's a race launched by Sheikh Hamdan to promote health and fitness, you know?"

I click on the link in the email that takes me to the event's website. "But it's like an obstacle course?" I wonder.

"Yes."

A picture of him and his teammates shows up on my screen, all of them covered in sweat, water and sand. This is so like him, of course he wouldn't miss the chance to participate.

"I've heard that it is really hard." Reem points out.

Very challenging, obviously. Otherwise it wouldn't be fun for him.

"But why Gov Games? Not everyone can participate?" I ask Reem.

She shakes her head. "No, all participants must work for the government."

"Really?"

"Yeah, some girls from my old job were looking for teammates."

An idea pops up in my head. "Do you think we could do it?"

Reem furrows her brows. "Who's we?"

"You and I, silly!"

Reem bursts out laughing. "What?" More laughter. "Layla, do you even workout?" She asks me while drying the corner of her eye.

I recline in my chair and cross my arms. "Well, for your information I do pilates every... once in a while."

"Layla, I have never even touched a weight my whole life! I do not run unless something is chasing me, we cannot do this."

"Those girls that you mentioned, are they fit?"

She nods. "They do CrossFit."

I sit up straight. "Perfect! We need them, go find them."

Reem's jaw drops to the floor. "You're serious about this? Why? Why do you even want to do it?"

Honestly, because I miss him. We haven't talked since that last time at my house and I know a lot has happened but I have no idea how he is doing and the family gatherings are not the best place to talk. I will do anything that could possibly bring me back to him somehow, even if it means killing myself in this stupid race, because I don't know how else to approach him.