18. Moonlight

Layla

I finish adjusting the straps on the bright yellow bikini, take one last look in the full length mirror and put on the kimono with green leaves I brought. I didn't want to come here, or maybe I did. I don't know, I'm not even sure about how I feel about anything anymore. But Maryam insisted because she didn't want to be the only girl, and then she took me down the guilt road when she reminded me that Mansoor and I are not willing to take her to France with us and our friends. And well, here I am.

I take my phone and sunscreen with me, ready to go to the pool and lay out on the sun. As I walk towards the bedroom door the sound of helicopter blades begin to fade in and intensify with each passing second. It could only be one person. He didn't come here with the rest of us because he had something else to do first, but now the Crown Prince seems to have arrived.

I quickly leave the room to go find Maryam but I'm suddenly stopped by Mansoor, walking my way with wide open arms, wearing bermuda shorts and sunglasses.

"Sis! You look so pretty!" He hugs me by the neck and rocks me side to side.

People might say he's a little tipsy. But no, this is his natural state, he doesn't drink alcohol, no one in the family does.

I hug him back. "Thank you, habibi."

Mansoor is the one I have more in common with, I can talk to him about anything, we like the same things and I always look forward to traveling with him. Maktoum is like a protective father. Ahmed is very private and shy, he doesn't talk a lot but I know I can count on him. And Hamdan... Well, he's in a league of his own.

Mansoor and I walk towards the living area, the opened doors lead to the deck and allow the sea breeze to come inside. His arm is on my shoulders as he sings along to the music playing. Outside we find Maktoum and Ahmed relaxing with their drinks on the outdoor blue couches.

"Hey! I was just talking to Farouk." Maktoum announces.

Great, this is just great. Now the word is out. I mean, I knew it was a matter of time before Farouk told Maktoum about our conversation, but I didn't expect to have an audience for this.

I look behind me to make sure Hamdan is not coming yet. "Really? How is he?" I reply casually.

"Well, he's kind of bummed. What happened?" Maktoum wonders. "I thought you liked him."

"I did, he's great but... I don't know."

Mansoor drops his arm from my shoulders and takes his sunglasses off to look at me. "Did he do something to you? Because if he did--"

"No!" I cut Mansoor off. "He didn't do anything wrong."

"Who didn't do anything wrong?" Hamdan asks from behind me.

I knew I shouldn't come here.

He passes me by to say hello to Maktoum and Ahmed, then to Mansoor and he finally stands before me. I keep my sight away from his face and he plants a kiss on my cheek that I do not reply to.

"Apparently, our sister is single again." Mansoor tells Hamdan.

"I was never officially with Farouk." I clarify. "We went out on a few dates."

Hamdan sits in front of where Maktoum and I are standing, his arms extended on the back rest.

"Why? What happened?" He asks me.

"Yeah, I really had my hopes up for you two." Maktoum adds.

I puff. "You know what? I don't want to discuss this with you guys, so I'll be with Maryam by the pool."