7. Sassy Lassy

Layla

I stare at the clothes laid out on my bed. I already showered, did my makeup but I can't make a decision on the clothes. Some back up is a must.

"Krisha!" I call.

I adjust my rob and Krisha shows at my door.

"Yes, Layla."

"Get in here." I instruct with a hand gesture.

She stands next to me and I start explaining.

"I'm having dinner with this really, really cute guy. Let me show you his pic."

I take the phone from the bed and show Krisha Farouk's Facebook profile picture.

She gasps and covers her mouth with her hand.

"I know, that's what we're dealing with here." I throw the phone back on the bed. "We've been texting for the last few days and he is super nice and polite and even funny. So, of course, tonight I want to look like a put some effort, but not too much, you know?"

Krisha places her hands on her hips and nods. I love that she's taking this as seriously as I am.

I point at the red dress. "I'm thinking that one is too much."

"Yes, that definitely looks like a lot of effort."

I take the dress and throw it to the chair by the window.

"Jeans might look like too little effort." Krisha points out.

"Yeah, but I was thinking about this blazer that I have." I make a quick run to the walk-in closet and come back with the black blazer. "If I match the jeans with the white top and this little guy, then it's not that casual. But I also love that emerald green blouse."

"With the black trousers?" Krisha suggests.

"Yeah! Should I try them on?"

I run back to the closet and change into outfit number one. Is this silly? Maybe it is, maybe I'm too excited for this first date but I can't help it. Farouk makes me feel like--

I close my eyes and shake the thought of Hamdan out of my head. He's the last person I need in my mind right now.

After trying both outfits on, Krisha and I decide that the emerald green blouse and black trousers are the winners.

"Are you done for the day?" I ask Krisha while putting golden earrings on.

"Yes. Gardeners will be here tomorrow morning and I left some brownies in the kitchen."

My mouth waters. "Is that what that smell was? Krisha, I love you, you know?"

She giggles.

I check my phone. "It's still early for my date, come on, I can give you a ride home."

Downstairs, I go to the kitchen and grab two zipper bags to fill them with brownies.

"One for your boys, one for me." I tell Krisha while handing her one of the bags.

"Thank you." She replies.

"What are you even talking about? You made those."

During the drive Krisha confesses that her husband wants her to quit her job. Apparently, a second income is not as essential as it was a few years ago.

"But I don't want to." She continues. "Especially now that I'm working for you; the workload has reduced so much and I still get paid the same, I get to go home earlier and take the boys to school every morning."