2. Oud and Roses

Layla

"Does it have to be a surprise?" I ask Maktoum as the driver takes us to the palace.

"Yes!" He replies eagerly. "I have planned everything! Here, your new phone. I already saved my number."

I inspect the latest iPhone he just gave and put it in my purse. My brother is way more excited about me moving back than what I expected. Nobody knows I just got off the plane to move here indefinitely and my emotions have been on a rollercoaster since I said yes to this. Leaving New York wasn't easy but then I think about being close to my sisters and nieces and nephews and my heart warms up.

As I look at the city through the tinted windows of Maktoum's Mercedes I cannot deny there's a different feeling when I'm here, it's not the same in New York or London, even when I was so excited to leave for college. It's a feeling of belonging that I don't get anywhere else.

"Hey." Maktoum says from the other side of the back seat.

I turn my head to see him.

"Is everything okay?" He asks.

"Yeah." I nod. "Why don't you fill me in with the details of your master plan?"

He smiles. "Okay. We're having lunch with our mother because she would kill both of us if she is not the first to know you're here."

"That sounds about right." I agree.

"At first I thought about getting the whole family together but it is an impossible task. After lunch the driver will take you to your villa so you can get settled and rest, your luggage is on its way there."

When I'm not in the UAE, sometimes I forget about the perks of belonging to this royal family. Not by blood and I will never be a Sheikha, but I always get the same treatment. A more independent life was something I desired for a long time and I did it but I think I could definitely get used to the privileges again.

Maktoum recommended a real estate agent and we did some virtual tours of properties. I fell in love with a beach front villa at the Palm Jumeirah and just like that it's now mine. I don't even know how much it costs, so yes, our life is very privileged but my family is filled with good people.

"And tomorrow..." Maktoum makes a dramatic pause. "We're meeting with our siblings, I mean, not all of them but as many as I could get."

"Who will be there?"

The long list begins. "Latifa, Maryam, Sheikha, Ahmed, Mansoor and Hamdan, of course."

"Wow. Isn't the Crown Prince busy?" I reply sarcastically.

"No. I told him it was an important work meeting and it kind of is."

I sigh and dry my palms in the fabric of my long dress.

"You don't want to see him?" He questions.

"I'm fine." I lie.

"What happened with you two? You're both so weird at the mere mention of the name of the other."

I pout and try to sound as casual as possible. "I suppose we don't really get along."

"But you were really good friends before." He points out.

"Well, not anymore."

I look out the window one more time in hopes that the topic comes to an end.

"I don't think that will be an issue. Is not like you have to be best buddies or anything."

I remain silent because I do miss the days when we were friends. When we were kids I admired him deeply, in the most pure genuine way. He was quite rebellious and I looked up to that, so I would always second him for any sort of mischief, it seemed to me like he was capable of doing anything. I think some of those qualities remain within him, he's not this terrible person I try to paint in my mind, but it makes things easier for me when I think less of him.