2: Old Cases, Part 2

The McCall House

That Evening

Malia and Kylie, over text message, both agreed that with Malia's out-of-control powers, it was best that she stay at Melissa's house overnight. So that evening, with a bag of her things, Malia knocked on Melissa's door.

"Malia, darling, come in, but I have to warn you, I do have a guest," Melissa said, her smile sad as she greeted the were-coyote.

The true alpha nodded and entered the house, glancing around for a minute before spotting the "guest". He was dressed in a suit and looked out of place.

"This is my ex-husband, Rafael McCall," Melissa said softly to Malia. "He's my sons' father."

"It's been eight years," snapped Rafael, "you can say their names. Scott! Shawn!"

Melissa sighed and pinched her nose, as Malia began to growl. "Malia, sweetheart, calm down," she said quickly, as Malia's claws began to come out of her fingers. "Come with me," she continued hurriedly, before Rafael McCall could see. "Breathe," she urged.

As Melissa led Malia upstairs, she continued trying to calm Malia down: "Come on, let it go, just breathe," she said, "let it go, breathe..."

Malia's fangs started to come out, and yet Melissa still pushed onwards.

"You told me that you and Stiles learned a way to control this," she urged. "Find an anchor, right?"

"Yes," panted Malia, her eyes glowing brilliant red.

"Well, find your anchor," pressed Melissa.

Malia looked at Melissa desperately. "My anchor was Stiles! And I don't have Stiles anymore! Maybe I never did, to begin with!"

"Then be your own anchor!" Melissa said powerfully, her determined eyes meeting Malia's. "You can do this."

Malia's claws withdrew; her fangs disappeared, and her eyes stopped glowing. She let out relieved pants, as did Melissa, as she returned to her human form.

"Sweetheart, let me tell you something no teenager ever believes," Melissa informed Malia. "But I swear to you, it is the absolute truth: you fall in love more than once. It'll happen again. And it'll be just as amazing and extraordinary as the first time. And maybe just as painful. But it'll happen again, I promise."

Malia nodded, staring at Melissa as she nodded along with the words. "And until then," instructed Melissa, "be your own anchor."

-----------------------------------------

The Stilinski House, Stiles' Bedroom

That Same Night

As she'd suspected, Stiles wasn't asleep. He hadn't slept since they had given power back to the Nemeton, and if he had, he certainly hadn't meant to. And Malia knew that Stiles thought she didn't know, but she did. And unfortunately, Stiles was the only other person who knew about Scott, and therefore, her only other option.

"Hey, what's going on?" Stiles frowned, even going so far as to move over on the bed to make space for Malia. She rolled her eyes at her ex's stupidity.