3: Home, Sweet Home

Beacon Hills Forest Preserve, Near the McCall Car Wreck

A Few Minutes Later

"My name is Malia Tate," Malia introduced herself, helping Scott up. He released his hand as soon as he was standing up, his bare feet on the leafy soil, and he looked around. Malia guessed he was trying to adjust to his newfound height - what was he, six four, maybe? 

"I'm the alpha of Beacon Hills' pack," Malia decided to continue, trying to get Scott, who was inhaling and probably taking in every scent he possibly could around him.

"Why did you turn me back?" Scott asked her, frowning at her with those dark chocolate eyes. He had tanned skin, and abs, and he was a mystery waiting to be solved.

Malia was surprised at Scott's question. "You've been a werewolf for nine years, Scott, I guess I thought it was time that you returned to your family," she shrugged. 

"I - no, I killed my family. He - he made me," Scott covered his ears, clearly distraught by the memory. He crouched to the ground, and Malia knelt beside him, one hand on his shoulder.

"Who made you, Scott?"

"How do you know who I am?" demanded Scott, brushing away Malia's hand and standing up again.

"The sheriff - he figured it out," Malia tried to soothe him. "Look, your mother, Melissa, really misses you, Scott, please - "

"No, I might hurt her...I hurt everybody..." Scott was turning around frantically. "I want to go back, Alpha, I want to be a wolf again...otherwise I hurt everybody, that's what he told me...that's what he promised..."

Malia sighed. "Scott, I can teach you how to control it," she promised. "You can be in my pack, and I promise you your mom won't blame you."

"My mom doesn't even know I'm a werewolf," Scott said shakily. "How is she supposed to accept that?"

"She knows about me," Malia said gently. "She's helped calm me down, plenty of times."

Scott slowly turned to face Malia, finally seeming to calm down as Malia informed him that maybe his mother wouldn't be so unaccepting of the supernatural. "Really? My mom helped you?"

Malia nodded. "Will you go see her, please? For me?"

Hesitantly, Scott nodded, and of course that was when Stiles and Lydia had to arrive, hand-on-hand, on the scene, closely followed by Allison and Isaac. Kylie, Malia knew, had gone home to deal with their father. Scott immediately bared his teeth, which were partially shifted.

"Scott - Scott, it's okay, this is my pack. This is Stiles," Malia reluctantly introduced her ex-boyfriend first, if only because he and Scott had to have been friends, once upon a time. "He's the sheriff's son, he helped find you - "

"He's human," Scott noted.

Stiles rolled his eyes. "Hey, buddy, this human just saved your little werewolf ass, so - "

"Stiles!" scolded Malia, taking hold of Scott's hand; she could tell the newly-human werewolf was still on edge. "That's Lydia, she's a banshee - "

Lydia waved. "Hi, Scott," she smiled at the teenage boy. 

"That's Isaac, he's a werewolf too - "

Isaac flashed his yellow eyes at Scott, who raised a hand to cover his own. He's probably ashamed of his blue eyes, Malia thought sympathetically. 

"And that's Allison, she's - " Malia didn't really want to say hunter, not yet, not when Scott was still so jumpy.

"I help protect the pack," Allison jumped in. "And we better go, Malia, your dad will wake up from the tranq dart any minute now..."