t h i r t y - t h r e e

Natalie and the others rushed back to the prison. "Mama!"

She sprinted to the two girls and brought them into her chest. "You alright?"

They both nodded their heads. "I was scared. I saw him Ma."

Natalie's face dropped, she looked at Isabel, who just nodded her head at her. "He was the one who was driving the van." She said now looking down, unable to look at her mother's face. "I could hear him laughing as he slammed straight through those gates and then when he climbed out... he just looked over at us... and... smiled before running towards us."

Maggie came over to them, "it's alright though, we got you out of there before he could do anything to you both." She said softly whilst caressing the backs of their head.

"I'm sorry you had to see him he like that," Natalie said sincerely, "no daughter should ever see their parents like that."

Emmy, looked up at her mother, then shook her head quickly before squashing her head back into Natalie's chest.

She sighed deeply before looking up at the rest of the group who heard the interaction, "we have to leave." Herschel said seeing the distress on his granddaughters faces.

"We're not leaving." Rick said sternly and looking away from Natalie and grabbing another gun.

"What if there's another sniper? A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds. We can't even go outside." Maggie spoke concern rooted in her voice.

"Rick says we're not running, we're not running." Glenn emphasised.

"No, better to live like rats." Merle spoke up, causing a fire to enlighten inside of Natalie.

She stood up and turned to face him, "You got a better idea?"

"Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day."

"Yeah smartass, that was last night, now unless you've got a time machine, it seems to me we've lost that window." Natalie sassed back.

He scoffed before looking towards Rick, "I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now."

"We ain't scared of that prick." Daryl said coming to stand beside Natalie to face his brother.

"Y'all should be," Merle said looking at every single person. "That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to."

As much as Natalie hated to admit it, he had a point. She rolled her eyes at him then turned her back on him to face the rest of the group.

"So, what do we do then?" Isabel asked, fear creeping up on her as her voice shacked.

"I said we should leave. Now Axel's dead." Herschel pointed out again. "We can't just sit here."

Rick looked back at Herschel before turning away and walking out. Natalie sighed, wishing that he would come back.

It was unnerving. How unreliable he was becoming. It was making everyone frustrated. Herschel included as he shouted for Rick to come back.

"You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So, get your head clear and do something."