o n e

"You need to get out of here!" Chris exclaimed to his wife, Natalie.

"Are you out of your mind?" Natalie scoffed at him as she sorted out her patient's paperwork.

Natalie had a late shift at the hospital she worked at, as a general surgeon, when her husband, Chris, barged in pulling her towards the exit of the hospital begging her to go home.

"You don't understand Nat, you don't know what I've seen." He said bringing his hands to his eyes and rubbing at them.

Natalie stood a foot apart from him staring at him as he broke down in front of her. "What have you seen?" She asked calmly.

"People coming back as...as something else. They attack everyone. They're sick I don't know what - what they are." He straightened up again and stared at her. "All I know is that I need you to go home get Emilia and go to your father's farm." He said once again pulling at her arm.

"I can't just leave my patients they'll die without me." She said not entirely sure what was going on.

"They're going to die regardless whether you stay or not!" He screeched. "The military - they're coming. I was just told." He said pointing to his radio on his waist. "They'll kill everyone here including you if you stay. We need to go."

As he said that something smashed against the window. A person. That's for sure. But their skin was grey and dull. They growled as they were clawing at the window trying to get to them. As Natalie went closer to the window to get a better look, she jumped back when a gunshot could be heard and the person fell down to reveal the huge number of soldiers now on the street shooting at people. That was enough for Natalie to look back at her husband. "Let's go."

Chris chucked his pistol at his wife, who caught it and pointed it at anyone who wasn't looking or acting like a normal person. But never pulling the trigger.

The two of them ran through the hallway trying to get the underground car park as quickly as they could. As they approached the exit, the entrance of the hospital was forced open, tens of soldiers came blazing in killing anyone on sight.

Natalie forced open the door and ran down the stairs, not sparing anyone a second glance, as her priority was getting home to her daughter. She neared her car and pulled out her phone to call Isabel. Isabel was a sixteen-year-old high school student who was babysitting her Seven-year-old daughter Emilia.

Isabel picked up after the second bell. "Hi, Mrs Hall."

"Isabel!" Natalie said relieved as she opened the car door to sit down behind the wheel. "Are you and Emmy alright?"

"Yeah, we're fine, Mrs Hall. Why has something happened?"

"I need you to listen to me very carefully. Something has happened. I want you to lock all the doors and shut the curtains. I need you to back 3 bags. Pack a bag for Emmy filled with some clothes, food, and a toy if you can fit it in. Then do the same for me and Chris. The next bag I need you to pack as much as food and weapons. There's a gun under the floorboard of the first step of the stairs I need you to pack all those things. Me and Chris are coming you need to stay put, don't answer the door for anyone."

"What's happened?" She scared.

"We're coming soon don't worry I explain everything to you then. But please do what I just told you."

"O-okay," she said shakily. Natalie sighed and ended the phone quickly, eager to get home to her daughter. As she went to turn on the ignition she saw that Chris wasn't in the car.