e i g h t e e n

The three of them drove each car to the prison, they parked the cars a little away from the railings before making a run for it.

Rick snipped at it, creating a gap large enough for everyone to go through.

Once everyone was inside, Glenn zip-tied the hole, securing it so no one could follow.

Walkers from both sides made their way over to them trying to get a bite, but the fences blocked them. At least they were strong enough to do that.

They ran down the passage that led them to the main gate, that separated them and courtyard.

Walkers continued to trash themselves at the barriers, but the group, for now, paid them no mind.

"It's perfect," Rick said looking at Natalie once they had stopped, "good spot," he said, she nodded back and smiled.

He went and stood by the gate observing the area, seeing the possible methods they could clear out the yard.

"If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filing the yard, we can pick off these walkers - we can take the field by tonight."

"So how do we shut the gate?" Herschel asked.

"I'll do it," Natalie said coming forward, "you guys cover me," she said bringing out her pistol.

"No, it's a suicide run," Maggie said scared for her sister.

"Ma she's right, it's too dangerous going in by yourself," Isabel said coming forth and grabbing her wrist.

Rick nodded, "We can go for the gate, look out for eachother," he said pointing between the two them, to which she gave a firm nod back. "Glenn, Maggie, Beth and Isabel you draw as many as you can over there, pop them through the fence. Daryl, go back to the other tower, Carol you've become a pretty good shot, take your time - we don't have a lot of ammo to waste," she ran back to the tower with Daryl, "Herschel, you, Carl and Emilia take this tower."

Glenn handed him the clips that they would use to lock the gates.

The rest of them went to their allocated areas, making as much noise as they could so walkers could come towards them rather than Rick and Natalie.

"Ready Sheriff?" Natalie smirked as the two of them walked towards Lori who was standing by the gate, waiting to be told to open it.

"Did you really just ask me that?" He smirked back.

Lori looked at their interaction with a feeling of longingness, she knew nothing was happening between the two, but the playful nature they had amongst them, almost made her envious.

"Just making sure," she laughed bringing out her gun.

Rick nodded his head towards Lori, and without any exchange of words, she pulled open the gate.

They both ran out, Natalie instantly pointing her gun at a walker's head and pulling the trigger without stopping. Rick right behind her doing the same thing.

There must have been around thirty walkers in the yard with them and once they had caught the scent of two alive people they staggered away from the fences and made their way towards Rick and Natalie.

Still running for the gate, Rick raised his gun to shoot the walker, steps away from Natalie, when an arrow struck it first. The two of them looked up to the tower where Daryl was, Rick nodding thanks then taking off.

He had overtaken Natalie and now was in front. He suddenly stopped making Natalie bump into him when a bullet hit the floor by their feet.

"Jesus Christ," Natalie said jumping back.