Swimming Pool

I stretch my back as the sun shines through my window. My head pounds as I get on my feet. I carry myself to the bathroom and splash myself with water. I instantly feel better.

I jump in the shower to rinse off, and to ease my pounding headache, because water makes everything better. I get out and dry off, throwing on a pair of old swim trunks and a t-shirt.

I head down the stairs with a backpack over my shoulder. My sister is sitting on the couch on her phone, but as I walk past she looks up. It was Saturday so both of my parents were at work all day.

"Where you going?" She asks.

"The beach."

I don't even stop walking as she says goodbye. I pull my phone from my bag as I close the door and turn it on. The screen flashes on and then fades into black as I try to swipe it open.

"What the-?" I mutter to myself. I discard it into my bag and climb onto my bike. I ride into George's driveway and knock on his front door. His mom answers the door and looks me down.

"Clay, how are you?" She asks pleasantly.

"Doing great Mrs. Davidson. Is George here?"

She looks behind her. "I'll get him."

She leaves me on the front porch and retreats from sight. I fiddle with the strings on my trunks, tying them and untying them over and over again.

George's face appears in the doorway. "Dream!"

I look up at him. "George. I thought we were going to-"

"Oh sorry," he gestures behind him with his eyes. "Probably not today." His voice is loud, like he is trying to tell his whole house.

I understand what he means. He winks at me and I say, "Alright, another time then," and then I whisper, "meet me round back?" and I walk off the porch.

I let the sound of the door closing behind me hit my ears before I sneak around the garage and to the side of the house where George's bedroom window sits. I rest my back against the house and mindlessly play with my backpack straps as I wait.

I hear the window slide open next to me and I smile at George's face. He smiles back and climbs through the window, with my help.

"What was that about?" I question as I let go of his elbows.

"I'm pretty much grounded, but there was no way I was going to stay home all day."

"Don't you think you'll just get into more trouble?"

He waves his hand. "I'll be fine."

I shrug and we both climb on our bikes and ride down the road. George rides his bike up next to mine. I look over at him. He seems concentrated on the road.

"So where are we going?" He calls over the wind.

"Just down here," I gestured to the end of the road. "One of my mom's friends is out of town and they have a pool. I want to test some things out over there."

George nods his head and we continue down the road. It was only three or four more blocks down, but the more we ride the more sick to my stomach I become. This happened yesterday as well. So weird.

We get a block away and I pull my bike to a stop on the side of the road. George follows me.

"What's wrong?" he asks as I bend over my bike, huffing.

I shake my head. "I feel like I'm going to throw up."

My stomach twists and I take deep breaths. I lean against my bike for support and I feel George's hand rub across my back.