Bonding

Sapnap and Karl lead us towards the big merfolk city. We enter through the main gate and swim between buildings and around statues and coral reefs. The mer-people glance our way, gawking and muttering to themselves. Karl swims shyly behind Sapnap as more people notice our presence.

A shocked old woman points us out as we swim by. George grabs my hand and I look over at him. He looks a little scared. I give him a small smile.

Up ahead is a small tunnel. We swim through it and into a very large, open cave. Sitting in large chairs are five very old looking men, with dim tails and large white and grey beards, talking amongst themselves.

As we enter, their chatter turns quiet and they gawk at us.

Sapnap moves in front of us. We all stop. His mouth opens to say something, but is abruptly stopped short.

"What are they doing here?" An elder with a dim grey tail questions.

Sapnap clears his throat, but is once again interrupted.

"Their mere presence can lead to disaster!"

An argument breaks out between the six men. Sapnap turns and looks at us, rolling his eyes. George and I glance at each other.

This was their form of counsel? Argumentative old mermen?

"Elders!" Sapnap shouts, ending their loud discussion quickly. "If I may?"

The elder in the middle with a dark green tail nods his head, looking pointedly at the other elders.

Sapnap continues, "As you may know, these two mermen behind me are in fact the humans from the prophecy."

Another nod from the green tailed elder and Sapnap continues. "I have personally analyzed their behavior for the past week and have determined them to be kind hearted individuals who want the best for us and our race."

I glance at George and he smiles at me.

"I brought them to you so they can explain themselves. I'm hoping that together, with much planning, we can avoid the destruction that the prophecy testifies of." Sapnap moves out of our way and gestures to us. "This is Dream and George."

I smile and swim forward. "It's and honor to meet the elders of the merfolk. George and I want to try everything in our power to stop from destroying anything. We've spoken to the Mermaid Queen and another person of your kind and discussed many options-"

"How do we know you're not tricking us?" And elder with a dark maroon tail asks.

I look over at George. He swims forward. "You're just going to have to trust that we have no ill intentions. We wouldn't have come to you if we didn't want your help. We know of your wisdom and hope to make use of it."

Everyone turns to the elder in the middle. He moves from his seat, swimming upright.

"I am Plato, the leader of the elders. We will help in anyway we can. What have you come up with."

George smiles at me. Sapnap, George, and I all go on to explain the things that had happened since we had transformed into half merman. We talk about the experiments, the interaction with the Seer, the Mermaid Queen, and Wilbur. We tell them the three option we had discussed.

"You haven't finished the bonding ritual?" Plato asks, sniffing us.

We both shake our heads.

"Well, then what are you waiting for? That is the way to defeat anything the prophecy might have for us. Let's get started-"

"Dream!"

George and I turn to the sound of my name. Wilbur is swimming into the cave, with many notes in his hands.