Forever?

Sapnap is quick to make a healing salve to rub on their wounds and stop the bleeding. He doesn't really know if it is going to work, but he tried his best. Karl, Sapnap, George, and I all carry them back to the village where actual healers could help them. They are taken from our arms and the four of us are left alone in the middle of the town.

I sigh, suddenly feeling exhausted.

It has been a long day. I've been tired since this morning when I woke up. And this morning seems so far away. Honestly, I've been tired since becoming a merman that night on the beach. How have I been going to school during all of this? How are we even alive after that battle with the Seer? And the seer...

Wait... What time is it?

I gasp looking up at George. His eyes go wide as if he can read my thoughts.

"Sapnap, Karl, what time is it? Are we too late?"

George looks around frantically as I grab Sapnap's arm.

"Oww," He jerks his arm from my grip. "Too late for what?"

"Oh no. Oh no! No, no, no."

George speaks up. "We had a three day time limit from the Seer. He said that whatever form we wear by the time the three days were up we would remain in."

Sapnap looks confused.

I grab his arm again. "It was a prophecy. If the three days are up then we are mermen forever!"

He finally seems to understand, eyes going wide. Karl puts a hand over his mouth in shock.

"You guys have to go then!" Sapnap kicks into action. "Go now!"

George and I look at each other and then at Sapnap and Karl.

"We... we're never going to see you again if we go," George mutters.

Sapnap's eyes widen slightly. He looks between the two of us. "But you have to go. You can't be mermen forever." He looks at Karl. "Go with them and make sure they make it to shore safely."

Karl nods his head, also looking distraught at what George said.

"We've got go," Karl urges, "Before it's too late."

"What about you Sapnap, and the elders?" I ask as Karl pushes us away from the town.

"I can watch over them. And... I'll be fine." Sapnap smiles sadly. "For what it's worth, it was nice getting to know you two. And you guys have a bright future ahead, one that isn't bogged down by us mer-people."

I smile at him. Karl grabs my wrist and drags us away, leaving Sapnap alone in the middle of town.

I'm going to miss Sapnap.

George grabs my hand, smiling sadly. "Come on. We've got to hurry."

I nod and speed up, swimming quickly towards the surface.

Karl leads the way quietly and frantically. We have to make it before the prophecy comes true, when that is, I have no idea. My heartrate increases when I realize that we just might be stuck like this forever. That makes me pick up speed. George's hand is still clutched tightly in mine when we finally break the surface. Karl follows us to shore and I break my grip from George as I crawl onto the sand.

I take a deep breath of the fresh ocean air as I fully pull myself from the salty waves. I wait for the familiar feeling of transformation. I close my eyes, feeling the ocean breeze, feeling George's presence next to mine, feeling the sand on my back and the water in my hair. My heart rate spikes in terror from George's emotions. My eyes shoot open and I look over at him. He is sitting up in the sand staring incredulously at his tail. I sit up doing the same.