Human on Accident

"Is there anyway to change back into humans?"

She looks at me. "To defy prophecy is not an easy task Dream, in fact it is almost impossible. I can only think of one way."

"Tell me."

"That would be to re-enter that cave on the full moon night, and become half-human, half-merman once again."

I gaze out at the ocean and the sinking sun. Karl is only a silhouette in the waves. My thoughts spin through my head.

"So there is no way to become fully human again?" George breaks the silence.

I glance over at Nerissa. She shakes her head. "I'm afraid not George. I wish I could say that there was."

"Well, there has to be a way to make this more manageable. For the both of us," George continues. "I mean, we don't want to have to worry about not getting wet at school, or changing into a mermaid in front of our friends, family, or classmates at any moment. Is there some way to... I don't know..." He trails off, not knowing what else to say.

I turn to look at him and he grabs my hand. His touch warms my cheeks remembering the moment we shared in my mind.

George stares at the Mermaid Queen. "And are there going to be any repercussions for staying away from the ocean? Or from Dream and I being bonded?"

"Being bonded comes with many difficulties and blessings. For one, you are linked emotionally and mentally. You can understand each other in a deeper way that no one else can. You also have the ability to protect each other in ways that are even difficult for me to comprehend. The challenges come with the effect that you have on each other in negative ways. It's hard to explain and can only really be understood through experience. I would advise you to be careful around one another."

"And staying away from the ocean?" I ask.

"It's not ideal. I think, while being a half, you should visit weekly if not more. Just so you don't become overly dehydrated. Ocean water is the only way to rehydrate after long periods away."

I sigh. George squeezes my hand lightly. Well... now what?

"Now what?" George says aloud.

Nerissa looks between the two of us. "We wait until the next full moon."

***

I was nervous as we swam closer to shore, the night drawing nearer. Nerissa told us she would wait for us by the cave entrance on the shore. Karl and Sapnap were following closely behind us, muttering to one another. George had a tight hold on my hand as we swam under the surface in the direction of where we once were turned into mermen. It seemed so long ago. We had been through so much. I had never expected to be fully bonded with George by the end of all of this, but here we were, hand in hand, changed forever.

The shore approached quickly as the sun fully set behind us.

"Do you know where we are going?" Sapnap asks as we poke our heads through the surface.

George turns to look at him. "I vaguely remember where it is," he admits.

"This looks familiar," I respond, scanning the shoreline.

"Can you see the Mermaid Queen?" Karl questions, squinting.

I shrug and George shakes his head, watching the beach carefully.

The four of us tread in silence, slowly watching the moon rise from behind the mountains. When the moon beams shine on our faces a tingling sensations makes me shiver. There is a power behind the moon that I don't fully understand.