39

39

Shivangi screamed jumping on her feet holding her hand in pain. Something as simple as making dosa could be disastrous when your mind isn't with you. Shivangi burning her thumb was a good example for the same. As Shivangi turned off the flame and turned to search for first aid box, she saw her father looking at her with concern. He must have ran from his room where he was working on his laptop as he was panting with panic filled eyes.

"Onnum illa pa. Summa soodu patruchu avlo dan."

(I am alright)

"Paathu panna maataya." Her worry came out as tell off as he held her other hand and lead her to the dining room.

(You should have been careful)

He pulled a chair for Shivangi before going to fetch cream for the burn. Shivangi followed her father's action closely. His hair had more grey streaks than she remembered. When did her father get old?

As her father, pulled a chair beside Shivangi and began applying the cream, he mumbled about her still being a irresponsible kid making Shivangi chuckle.

Her father looked up and frowned at Shivangi. "Innum oru Dosa koodava olunga ootha maata? Idhula kalyanam vera panni onna taniya anupanuma?"

(Have you still not learnt to be careful while making Dosa? I can't believe you will be getting married soon)

The mention about marriage brought back Shivangi's attempt at trying to find perfect time to talk to her father in the past week. Some moments were not ideal while some moments she was not sure how to broach the topic. Shivangi wondered if this could be the perfect time. Her mother and brother were not home and her father looked approachable fussing over her like she was a five year old.

"Adhunala dan kalyana pechu arambichadhula irundu neenga maareeteengala?"

(Is that why you have changed since marriage talks started?)

Her father stopped applying the cream and blowing over the burn. He looked up with an unreadable expression before he chuckled straightening himself.

"Naan maaretana Shivangi?"

(Have I changed?)

It sounded like a question that she was supposed to have answer to. Her father's eyes zoomed over her in an accusing way that he has not used on her even when she scored the lowest of marks making him walk to parents meeting with his head bowed down. What did she miss?

Her father clicked his tongue as he pushed back the chair and created distance between them. His eyes fixed on her as he said, "Mareerupen. Anju varshama nee gavanikave illaye, adhunala naan maarnadhu terinjirukadhu."

(Perhaps. You didn't notice me in past five years, so you didn't know about the change maybe)

Shivangi's lips parted in shock but the gasp was barely audible. Five years? Did he say five years? Shivangi didn't know where her father was taking this.

"Appa..." she said as the silence prolonged

"Ponnu kalyanam aagi poradhu nenacha ella appakum bayam irukum dan. Sila samayam ivan ennada namba tooki valzhata namba ponnu namba munnadiye namba kitta irundu piruchitu porane nu kovam varum. Enaku andha kovam ippo varalai. Yen teriyuma?"

(When a daughter is to get married a father will be scared. Sometimes one is bound to feel wary that boy will take his daughter away from him. I am not worried about it. You know why?)

Shivangi shook her head. Based on the hurt look on her father's face, Shivangi didn't know if she will like hearing the reason.

"Yen na Ashwin anju varsham munnadiye unna enga kitta irundu piruchitan." The ointment tube pressed between his fingers emptied the whole tube yet her father preferred looking at the gooey mass of white while revealing his hurt to his daughter than her face. "20 varshama naan paathu vazhanda ponnu maarradhu enaku teriyadha? Nee room pooteetu alugum podhu pakkathu room la unn appa amma nimmadiya toongeetu irupanga nu eppadi nenacha?" The tube passed from between his fingers to his palm and he fisted the whole tube releasing his stress on them.