"You are nothing."

"Worthless."

"It's your fault."

A figure in the distance, snow white hair cascading down their shoulders. A smile as gentle as a saint's.

Why were they growing farther and farther away?

No, come back, please.

Don't leave me alone.

Y/N woke up with a start, sitting up from the futon drenched in cold sweat.

Another nightmare.

This was the exact reason why they dread of having to sleep.

Because that person was always there, reminding them of their failure. Tormenting them.

Fate, oh cruel fate, why have you forsaken me?

Rising from their futon, Y/N exited their bedchambers and roamed the halls of Tenshukaku, until they find themselves outside in the garden.

It was past midnight, the stars in the sky glimmering in their glory. Taking a deep breath of the chilly night air, Y/N continued their stroll.

Everything was dead quiet, with most of the common folk tucked under their futons. The usual lively marketplace felt lonely at this time of hour.

In a way, it was comforting. Y/N was used to such solitude.

A few more minutes of strolling mindlessly around the marketplace, they settled down on the grass near the Naganohara firework shop. Quietly savoring the starry night sky before dawn breaks.

"The moon is beautiful tonight, isn't it?" Y/N felt someone's presence next to them, but didn't bother sparing a glance.

"It sure is."

Silence followed not long after, until the person broke it once more. "You look a little pale, is something on your mind?"

"Hm? No, not really. Just had a nightmare is all."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's nothing really, just the usual reminder of something that I lost once upon a time."

"I see."

...

Y/N sighed. "I don't get this Vision Hunt Decree thing."

"Oh? Why is that?" The person next to them became extremely interested in their words.

"I get that Ei achieves eternity on behalf of her people, that confiscating visions is the only solution to prevent them from bigger harm. But, is it really worth it? To make her people endure such agony of having their vision taken away for the sake of being much safer? Does it really protect them from bigger harm?"

"I don't know what happened during the cataclysm, I'm ashamed to say that I was asleep during it all, and failing to protect my companions. Now, I'm alone with no inkling of where they are, heh, I don't even know if they're even alive."

"Gah, why am I even venting to some... stranger?" Y/N finally turned to face their listener, who was—

—A small pink fox.

"Hahah... ahahaha! I think I'm losing it. I think sleep deprivation has finally taken its toll on me." They slapped themselves to shake the sleep off, only to see the same pink fox still sitting there, probably watching them in amusement.

"Uh... can you— can you understand me?"

The fox yips, and Y/N took it as a yes.

"Huh, I've never seen a fox like you before." They mused, patting their lap which the ball of fluff happily padded over and settled itself comfortably on their thighs.

"Cute." Y/N muttered, stroking its head eliciting a purr? Can foxes even purr? Whatever.

"Wouldn't it be funny if I managed to convince Ei to abolish the vision hunt decree? Hahah, she rarely even talks to me nowadays. I can count with one hand how many times I've conversed with her, and it's not much."

"It's not helping that her puppet can be such a bitch," they quietly added, earning what sounded like a chuckle from the small fox. "I mean, I almost got electrocuted when I accidentally snuck behind her when I was in the kitchen. What was she even doing in the kitchen?"

The first streak of dawn caught their attention. "Welp, looks like it's time for me to head back inside. Wanna accompany me for a little while longer? I'll make you something if you want."

The fox didn't protest, that's a sign.

Y/N gently picked the fox into their arms and made their way back to Tenshukaku, their nightmare completely forgotten and their mood uplifted thanks to their new friend.

***

Miko, still in her fox form watched silently at the slumbering Y/N in their room. They stayed true to their word and fed her her favorite food; fried tofu.

From what she had gathered about them, they were not from this world, and managed to catch Ei's attention that she left her plane for a while.

What an interesting specimen indeed.

The sun was almost out, almost time for her to leave. What a shame, she would've loved to spend her time with them a little while longer.

"Oh Ei, if you don't make a move on them soon, maybe I will." The fox grinned, nuzzling Y/N's cheek before taking her leave.

<Notes>

Two updates in a row? Lezzgoo!!

Also, what is Yae planning? Hmm 🤔