二十五

The singing of cicadas echoed across the night, leaves began to fall, swept up by a sudden gust of wind. It was the signal of change. The beginnings of plenty before the start of ruin and decay.

It is a reminder that most is transient and impermanent, the season symbolizing death, but also change and maturity. It always brought a certain calmness to Y/N whenever the season rolls around.

"Are you seriously making apple pie at 2 am?" Azrael deadpanned, appearing beside her kin with crossed arms.

"Can it, Jasmine." Y/N retorted, taking the pie out of the oven. "Unless you want your share to be given to Ei?"

"How the hell am I supposed to eat if I don't have a physical vessel, genius."

"Oh, looks like the cloning potion I've requested a few days ago should be returned then."

"Wha— I never disagreed!"

"Admit it, you can't live without my cooking."

"I did, in fact, managed to survive without your food, thank you very much."

Y/N snorted. "With burnt food?"

Azrael opened her mouth to bark out a snarky remark, but quickly closed it when she came out with nothing.

"Figures, you were never really one to have the patience in learning the art of cooking."

"Piss off."

Their playful banter was interrupted when they heard someone entering the kitchen, a yawn escaping past her lips as she strutted over to Y/N.

"Come back to bed, dearest." Ei murmured, wrapping her arms around their waist while burying her face onto the crook of their neck.

Like a flip of a switch, Y/N's mood brightened. "Just a moment, love."

Ei nodded, still clinging to them as her partner cleaned up the kitchen.

....

Returning to their shared bedroom, Y/N ran their fingers through Ei's velvety hair, out of its usual braid. When she looked up from their chest, their hand trailed over to cup her cheek.

For a fake body, it sure was warm and lively. Her skin was soft, unblemished, she was the embodiment of perfection.

"You're beautiful." Y/N whispered, stroking her pale cheek with a thumb.

Ei flushed, hiding her face back onto their chest while murmuring something incoherent. It was just the two of them right now, Miko along with Sara were busy with their roles and couldn't return to Tenshukaku like they usually could.

Which meant Ei gets to hog them for herself until the other two returned.

+1 for Ei, 0 for Miko and Sara.

"By the way..." she blurted out suddenly, looking up from her lover's chest. "Why were you making apple pie at ungodly hours?"

"I don't really know to be honest," Ei felt their chest rumble as they laughed. "I just had a sudden itch to bake something."

"At 2 am?" she giggled.

"Ehe."

The couple basked in each others warmth, the light from the moon peeking through the curtains.

"I really hope Aether wakes up soon." She hears them murmur quietly, running soothing circles onto her back.

"I'm sure he will, dear."

***

"Are you sure about this?" Ei nervously glanced at the intimidatingly glowing liquid swishing ominously inside the vial.